Thread: Bluetooth headset connects then disconnects

Beans

Bluetooth headset connects then disconnects

I have an Intel NUC with both an internal WiFi/Bluetooth adapter and an external Bluetooth adapter. With the internal adapter, I can turn on a Bluetooth headset and it auto-connects. With the external adapter (configred as described here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2276242), it does not auto-connect, though I can connect it manually by going to System Preferences > Bluetooth, select the headset, and click Connection > On.

I found http://metricrat.co.uk/xubuntu-bluet...n-audioheadset which notes /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf has an option AutoConnect which is unset by default. I changed it to AutoConnect=true. What I observe now is when I turn on the headset, the setting goes from Connection > Off to Connection > On and then after a second or so back to Connection > Off. If I manually move it to Connection > On, it stays connected.

(Maybe it was flip-flopping before and I just did not have system preferences open so I did not see it.)

(The page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothSetup mentions /etc/default/bluetooth but I do not see one. I'm guessing the page is old and should be the same as above.)

The headset is the only Bluetooth device I am using currently, so I do not know if other Bluetooth devices have the same behavior.

Any suggestions how to debug this? Manual works, but is a hassle; and, based on the internal adapter's behavior, it should be possible to connect automatically.

Beans

Re: Bluetooth headset connects then disconnects

try updating the driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Unpair the headset, then
    Code:
    sudo pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover
    Then see if you can pair and use the headset as an audio device

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lemuel_Blen View Post
    try updating the driver.
    I forgot to say: Ubuntu 14.04, 64-bit, all the latest stuff (according to Software Updater), and a pretty stock install.

So among other things: I think I am already running up-to-date drivers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    Unpair the headset, then
    Code:
    sudo pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover
    Then see if you can pair and use the headset as an audio device
    Thanks! I unpaired the headset, but then sudo pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover exited with an error. I rebooted and then the command worked. At that point I re-paired the headset, and I can turn the headset on and off, and it will connect and disconnect as desired.

However, this does not survive reboots. That is, I have to repeat the command after rebooting.

Browsing around on the web (now that I know what I'm looking for, thanks!) I found

I am also a bit confused because it connects automatically with the internal adapter, but not the external one.

What should I do to further debug this, and (pending a root cause fix) what can I do to make it "stick" across reboots? I can imagine adding the above to some init file -- but it obviously needs to be after a point where the PulseAudio server is ready willing and able to accept the command.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Are you using blueman? Interface looks like this

And there is a bug in it that will unload module-bluetooth-discover during boot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    Are you using blueman?
    Yes, I was trying to debug another problem and had installed it. I just now uninstalled it, did a reboot, and the headset now connects automatically. Thanks!