Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIR online filing a BIG problem to Linux/Ubuntu Users

Beans

BIR online filing a BIG problem to Linux/Ubuntu Users

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to actually get IE V9 working on Ubuntu?

Not sure if this is the place to gripe or to report, but you guys have heard of all the hoopla about BIR's hard stand about online filing of Tax returns?

Well our company has been trying our best to comply, but we always get hit with one wall after another. The latest of which makes me think that BIR is actually violating some kind of Law that prohibits government agencies from requiring individuals or companies to purchase a specific software.

1. In their FAQ, they said that ebirforms can be accessed with Firefox, Chrome, and IE. Okay at least there are options.
    2. But in the same FAQ it says that in order to file you can only use IE version 9.

Okay! Wait, that means, everyone using Linux and of course older windows software and Mac, etc. can't file anymore.

Thus, basically what BIR is saying, upgrade and buy Windows 7 and above or else you won't be able to file.... specially because there is no more alternative form of Filing.

There has got to be a Group, Organization or individual who should go out and file a TRO and a case against BIR for doing this!

Beans

Re: BIR online filing a BIG problem to Linux/Ubuntu Users

This is a good thread, shame no one is responding. Anong company kayo? Manufacturing? and totoo ba na Windows Internet Explorer lang pwede?

Beans

Maybe try WINE?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

1. Install firefox.
    2. Install useragent switcher for firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...agent-switcher
    3. Set the user agent to IE9.
    4. Try to browse the BIR

Beans

thanks for that nerdtron

Beans

Unfortunately I don't think Wine will work, IE 9 requires a lot of MS Windows stuff, even a Win 7 (basic) install isn't capable of having IE9 (if I remember correctly).

I tried installing useragent switcher, but I get an error and this happens with other switcher add ons that I tried, I am however testing on an older Jaunty Ubuntu running Firefox 3.0+

Yes it is confirmed that BIR requires IE9 and to make matters worse Phil Health has followed suit as well.

No matter which industry you are in, you are required to file online with BIR and Philhealth. But if you are asking because you are wondering what does a company use Ubuntu for, we are just a trading company. I pushed for Ubuntu as it is less prone to the more common viruses. Heck we use our Ubuntu to delete exe files from USB drives, basically using it as a "quarantine"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You could install Virtualbox from the repos and run Win whatever as a guest virtual machine, then install BIR in that. Or, of course, look for a Linux friendly alternative to BIR.

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    You could install Virtualbox from the repos and run Win whatever as a guest virtual machine, then install BIR in that. Or, of course, look for a Linux friendly alternative to BIR.
    BIR isn't something you install. It's the Bureau of Internal Revenue in the Philippines.
    If they're anything like the IRS or CRA in the US and Canada, I think most people would happily uninstall them!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ah, my mistake. So this is actually a Wine issue and how to get IE working in Wine, not really about BIR at all as BIR is, as stated by its creators, Windows specific and not intended for Linux.

The Virtualbox/Windows virtual machine option would be the route I think I'd follow if I were to be forced to go down it as it sounds you are.

Beans

Hehehe, actually it isn't a Wine or Linux issue, it's a Government policy issue because they seem to think that everyone in this world is using Windows 7 or higher.

Yes BIR = IRS.

Does the IRS REQUIRE all tax payers to file online? Coz our BIR does! When asked, how about those that don't have access to computers, the answer was, go to an internet cafe! Oh makes it sound so simple!

I just found out though from a Mac user that at least he can access the BIR submission website. But there are two types, the efps and the eBIRFORMS.

For efps https://efps.bir.gov.ph/index.html it is accessible by Firefox.

However for ebirforms, it is more complicated because they require to download an xml file which is what you fill up and when you click a button the IE9 will automatically open. I feel that if there is Wine Win7 (higher than basic) then maybe there is a chance.

Is there a WINE that is Win7 professional?

TTFN
    Arvin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast