Thread: Alternate bluetooth adapter?

Beans

Alternate bluetooth adapter?

I am running a Intel NUC with internal Intel Bluetooth/WiFi adapter. Bluetooth range is less than I would like so I got an Aircable XR3 http://www.aircable.net/products/host-xr3.php with tall antenna (donut rather than spherical pattern). It shows up as

Code:
    $ lsusb | grep -i blue

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
    If I reboot with it plugged in, it comes up as hci0 but either way the built-in is the default adapter -- e.g., if I try to pair headphones, they pair via the built-in adapter.

I tried disabling the internal adapter a couple different ways:

Code:
    $ sudo hciconfig hci1 down
    $ sudo hciconfig hciup up
    This (apparently) lets me pair the headset, but while Settings > Bluetooth > DEVICE shows it as paired, the "Connection" field is always off and cannot be turned on (I tried turning on the headset normally and/or in pairing mode and pairing it. Nothing either way.)

I also tried disabling it via

Code:
    $ rfkill block 1
    It seems I can block the builtin but not get the system to use the USB dongle.

When I look in /var/lib/bluetooth, I see both adapters, but while the directory for the builtin has lots of stuff in it, the directly for the dongle is nearly empty -- has "config" but nothing else.

Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit, recently updated and rebooted.

Any hints/tips? Much 'preciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Alternate bluetooth adapter?

Post the entire
    Code:
    lsusb; lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

Beans

Post the entire
    What I did was:

• Reboot
    • Plug in the Bluetooth USB dongle
    • Run the commands

Code:
    $ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp. 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 8087:07da Intel Corp. 
    Bus 002 Device 006: ID 045e:0083 Microsoft Corp. Basic Optical Mouse
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0e8f:0020 GreenAsia Inc. USB to PS/2 Adapter
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:c018 Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB
    Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Code:
    $ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I218-V [8086:1559] (rev 04)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2054]
        Kernel driver in use: e1000e
    --
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6235 [8086:088e] (rev 24)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6235 AGN [8086:4060]
        Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi

Beans
    Distro

Since the Intel bluetooth shouldn't work without firmware, we can make a backup and then delete it from /lib/firmware
    Code:
    mkdir intel
    Code:
    cp /lib/firmware/intel/* ~/intel/
    Code:
    sudo rm /lib/firmware/intel/*.bseq
    If that doesn't work, you can use a udev rule similar to http://projectgus.com/2014/09/blackl...ce-from-linux/

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/81-bluetooth-hci.rules
    and it needs to contain
    Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="8087", ATTRS{idProduct}=="07da", ATTR{authorized}="0"
    Save, exit gedit, and reboot

Beans

Thanks! I was concerned about touching everything in /lib/firmware/intel, since there's a bunch of things in that directory and (no surprise) a bunch of Intel stuff on a NUC. Worst-case scenario, I can't boot anymore because something critical stopped working.

So I tried option #2, blacklisting the Intel Bluetooth device as instructed: create the rule file and reboot, it works great. I see 8087:07da in the lsusb output, but how did you discover that was the Bluetooth device? (And not, say, 8087:8000.)

I will occasionally plug/unplug the USB dongle -- I will move the machine occasionally and sometimes want to skip the dongle -- but for other folks reading this and using, say, a laptop, it appears you can update udev rules dynamically. A little bit more info at http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html for those who want to read more.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by b00n View Post
    Thanks! I was concerned about touching everything in /lib/firmware/intel, since there's a bunch of things in that directory and (no surprise) a bunch of Intel stuff on a NUC. Worst-case scenario, I can't boot anymore because something critical stopped working.

So I tried option #2, blacklisting the Intel Bluetooth device as instructed: create the rule file and reboot, it works great. I see 8087:07da in the lsusb output, but how did you discover that was the Bluetooth device? (And not, say, 8087:8000.)

I will occasionally plug/unplug the USB dongle -- I will move the machine occasionally and sometimes want to skip the dongle -- but for other folks reading this and using, say, a laptop, it appears you can update udev rules dynamically. A little bit more info at http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html for those who want to read more.
    /lib/firmware/intel/ only contains bluetooth firmware and there was a chance it wouldn't work because btusb has some generic entries based on what you might find from
    Code:
    usb-devices
    or
    Code:
    lsusb -v
    I found that 8087:07da was the bluetooth using google(first choice as the bluetooth on my Intel 7260 is 8087:07dc IIRC) and I tested the udev rule on my machine with an atheros bluetooth to see if it was still a valid fix

Beans

/lib/firmware/intel/ only contains bluetooth firmware
    Ah, not at all obvious but definitely safe, thanks.

what you might find from lsusb -v
    I missed the -v option. In retrospect, I guess it was not obvious to me the internal Bluetooth would even be USB, there's also PCIe in there. But now that you mention it, lsusb -v shows

Code:
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 8087:07da Intel Corp. 
    Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
    Device Descriptor:
      bLength                18
      bDescriptorType         1
      bcdUSB               2.00
      bDeviceClass          224 Wireless
      bDeviceSubClass         1 Radio Frequency
      bDeviceProtocol         1 Bluetooth
      bMaxPacketSize0        64
      idVendor           0x8087 Intel Corp.
      idProduct          0x07da
    Hey, look, it's a Bluetooth adapter!

I tested the udev rule on my machine with an atheros bluetooth to see if it was still a valid fix
    Thanks again for your help! And: I hope the next person who needs this can find the thread