Thread: Cheap Sound Card?

Beans

Cheap Sound Card?

I have an old dell with a hissing built in sound card. I have 2 pci slots and a mini pcie slot leftover. Any recommendations for something cheap? Don't really care about sound quality just want to get rid of the hiss
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Lightbulb Re: Cheap Sound Card?

ASUSTeK Computer, Inc., had produced some now-discontinued audio cards that are specifically built anti-hiss: the XONAR® Essence™ ST™ (PCI 2.x), XONAR® Essence™ STX™ (PCIe 1.0 x1), and XONAR® Xense® (PCIe 1.0 x1). All have integrated RFI shielding and are built around a modified C-Media® CMI-8788 DSP chip; and both the ST and STX have plug-in dual operational amplifiers for Left I-V, Right I-V, and Line-Output Buffer. With ALSA 1.0.24 or later, use the Driver snd-virtuoso, which has specific tweaks to support the XONAR relay controls compared to snd-oxygen.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.