Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kernel 4.1 RC (Release Candidate) series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Kernel 4.1 RC (Release Candidate) series

Kernel 4.1 RC1 has been released on Kernel.org. I assume it will show up in the Ubuntu Kernel PPA pretty quick.

O.K. so far, but haven't done much yet. Since the Ubuntu kernel configuration wasn't available yet, I just used the default for all the new configuration settings (and there were lots, which is normal for an RC1).
    Last edited by Doug S; April 27th, 2015 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Added O.K. so far note.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Kernel 4.1 RC (Release Candidate) series

Greetings,
    It has quite a change list but one noticeable change in usability is an improvement in the menu mouse click sensitivity that has been persistent in Firefox. The 37.0.2 update didn't fix it but this morning the problem seem fixed with the kernel update.

Beans
    Distro

Kernel 4.1RC2 is now available. I have only a few hours on it. So far so good.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Hi.

I have given this kernel a whirl with 15.04. I was hoping 15.04 with its stock 3.19 kernel would solve my system lock-ups. No joy, so I might as well try this and hope for the best.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    I have been using RC1 since yesterday morning with no issues. But getting ready to switch back to 3.19 for WW conversion.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    Kernel 4.1RC2 is now available. I have only a few hours on it. So far so good.
    I just tried 4.1RC2 and got a loop at login ie I couldn't login.

What are you running on?
    I have the xorg-edgers ppa nvidia-349.16 on a 15.04 base with repos now pointed at Wily; everything fine on 4.0 Final.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tokyobadger View Post

What are you running on?
    I have the xorg-edgers ppa nvidia-349.16 on a 15.04 base with repos now pointed at Wily; everything fine on 4.0 Final.
    tokyobadger have you tried this ppa https://launchpad.net/~mamarley/+archive/ubuntu/nvidia
    It is just a clean install of the nvidia drivers.
    But rarely do we get the patch for nvidia early in kernel cycles.
    Regards
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; May 6th, 2015 at 02:44 PM. Reason: added info

Beans
    Distro

Thanks runrickus

I have not tried the mamarley ppa - are there advantages over the xorg-edgers ppa?

Re: nvidia patching - many years ago I used to roll my own kernels on "less automated" distros, issues with nvidia drivers at that time were almost always non-kernel-related, usually xorg; I switched to Ubuntu about 5 years ago as life got busier and I needed the more automated approach, just curious now as to why nvidia drivers now need patching for newer kernels

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tokyobadger View Post
    What are you running on?
    I am running it on an otherwise 14.04 Ubuntu server, no GUI. I actually build my RC series kernels from the kernel.org source, and just use the Ubuntu kernel configuration file.
    Also, I run with an additional, yet to be accepted or rejected, intel_pstate driver patch set.

Beans
    Distro

@Doug S: thanks for clarifying. Several iterations of difference.

@others: still unclear as to why a new kernel would need patches for nvidia - and yes I will google myself too

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast