Thread: Ubuntu 15.04 is magical

Beans

Ubuntu 15.04 is magical

Finally! Suspend actually works! After two years of trying dozens of Linux distros, my laptop is suddenly usable without Windows, which is very slow on my computer

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 15.04 is magical

I'm glad it works for.

Must say that I never had that problem.

Beans

Gotta say, in spite of little visual refreshment I am really impressed with Ubuntu 15.04. Was going to bob onto KDE, but after installing the mainline release I'm sticking with it. So fast! Great release, even though some reviews say it's no different. I can certainly feel the difference between this and say, 14.04 personally.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yes, i know what you mean, BigSilly (like your name...lol) I've noticed that too...very fast and snappy...i even feel the difference even over 14.10 which i was using just prior to upgrading to 15.04...
    It may not LOOK much different but it certainly FEELS different

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No problems so far. Been using it on my main machine the last 24 hours

Beans

Yup, it's a really great release. You can definitely feel there's been a lot of not-necessarily-user-detectable-but-massively-important changes under the hood. It really feels loved. How sad that all the reviews I've read and seen are just saying "meh, it looks the same as the last one". The only real upset I have with it is it only has 9 months support. Outside of dumb reviews, I am reading quite a lot of positive word of mouth around my usual haunts, so regular people at least seem to like it.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

15.04 is the first release to use systemd as the init system instead of Canonical's own Upstart. So, a lot of work has been done there in order to not delay making the switch.

Personally, I think that it is immature to keep expecting visual changes to a UI as evidence of progress. At some point a UI must become mature. Anyway, Ubuntu had a massive visual change a few years ago. I bet these same bloggers who complain about a lack of visual change also complained about the big shift from Gnome panel to Unity.

It is being so miserable that keeps them happy.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark