Thread: gedit warns about unsaved document when I suspend my laptop!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

gedit warns about unsaved document when I suspend my laptop!

This is really funny. Everyday when I finish my work I suspend my Ubuntu 14.04. But when I have gedit open with some random texts in it it does not suspend and warns me that gedit has unsaved documents! LOL as if I was about to shut down the system or what. I can click "suspend anyway", but why the heck does it say so? It does not make sense.
    those that are last may yet be first

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: gedit warns about unsaved document when I suspend my laptop!

Like to live dangerously, do you?
    What happens if you "save the file", so it doesn't think there are changes left in RAM, then suspend?

I haven't suspended with unsaved edits in 30+ yrs. Just don't always expect it to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Live dangerously? LOL If I had anything of importance there I would keep saving it after almost every word written That is also my habit which I got way back in the DOS times on my not very stable PC back then. Of course that gedit does not say anything if the texts were saved, but I use it merely to do some quick command editing or copy pasting text from another app to clear it from formatting, so there is nothing important, because the work I keep saving is mainly in other apps. So it looks like gedit creators frequently worked with some OS which had trouble waking up from suspend thus they included this warning :-]
    And I keep suspending / hibernating or whatever the OS supports my machines for more then 10 years because the time savings are invaluable and I never really had any problems with it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My experience with suspend has been very different. On Sunday, my 1 yr old netbook didn't come back from suspend. I leave systems on 24/7 so that automatic tasks can run anytime, especially overnight. Over the years, I've played with suspend and WoL ... sometimes they work, sometimes no (which is unacceptable).

The media center box here won't come out of suspend or hibernate consistently either. Since it is the main NFS server for the network, about 10 other systems depend on it, and it only uses about 25W, I don't feel bad leaving it on 24/7 - even when the family is out of town. Sure, I'd rather have WoL working and be able to wake it up with the remote - getting up, walking over and pressing a key on a keyboard (not usually connected) isn't viable.

Plus there are the security issues with hibernation or suspended OSes. It makes drive encryption worthless. Before taking a laptop or netbook outside the house, I shutdown completely. That is the safest way to transport sensitive data on encrypted disks. It is habit now.
    Last edited by TheFu; April 22nd, 2015 at 08:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

wow wait a minute how exactly makes hibernation or suspended OSes drive encryption worthless? If somebody steals my sleeping computer with encrypted drive what can he do with it? It is locked so he cannot get through the login screen unless he knows the password. If he unmounts the drive it is still encrypted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

https://grepular.com/Protecting_a_La...icated_Attacks
    There are other attacks too. I wouldn't worry about a thief, but anyone who actually wanted the data more than the device and had the required skills would likely gain access, IMHO.

There are research papers which outline different attack methods against Linux encryption which have been successful as well.