Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Instruction for Install Ubuntu & sons on PowerMac G5 Quad with Radeon HD

Beans

Re: Instruction for Install Ubuntu & sons on PowerMac G5 Quad with Radeon HD

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    I'm wondering if there are any reliable sources for used AmigaOne's that might be "reasonable" and available in the US???

Feasible? Or, there are plenty of G5's that are healthy and very zippy still available for . . . cheap??
    I would go for the PowerMac G5 11,2 air cooled models. Faster and by far cheaper than used AmigaOne X1000's would be. The are robust, more silent than the 7,2/7,3 models and got PCIe-slots.
    PMac G5 11,2. PMac G5 7,3. PBook G4 5,8. PBook G4 5,6. [MorphOS 3.9 / Gentoo Linux / Ubuntu MATE 16.10]
    2 x A1200. ACA-1233/55, ACA1232/40, Indivision AGA Mk2, 4 GiB CF. [Amiga OS 3.9]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ernsteiswuerfel View Post
    I would go for the PowerMac G5 11,2 air cooled models. Faster and by far cheaper than used AmigaOne X1000's would be. The are robust, more silent than the 7,2/7,3 models and got PCIe-slots.
    @ernst:

Hey bud, long time no hear, etc, and thanks for the post . . . I'll look into it, I have a bunch of data on an IDE HD running PPC apps that needs a home. Long live PPC!!!

e.e.p.

Beans

@este.el.paz:

The G5's have SATA HDs (keep in mind to use ideally SATA-1 drivers or SATA-2 at most, the SATA-controller is very picky with SATA-3 HDs). There is IDE, but only used for connecting the DVD drive. Of course you can plug it off to copy the data from the IDE HDs, but I doubt there is enough space to run the DVD drive and an IDE HD simultaneously.

I am less active on the Ubuntu side as the only machine left where I regularly run Ubuntu MATE is my PG G4. The G5's are much better off with Gentoo, as the software stack is much more recent and they are fast enough for the compiling stuff.
    PMac G5 11,2. PMac G5 7,3. PBook G4 5,8. PBook G4 5,6. [MorphOS 3.9 / Gentoo Linux / Ubuntu MATE 16.10]
    2 x A1200. ACA-1233/55, ACA1232/40, Indivision AGA Mk2, 4 GiB CF. [Amiga OS 3.9]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ernsteiswuerfel View Post
    @este.el.paz:

The G5's have SATA HDs (keep in mind to use ideally SATA-1 drivers or SATA-2 at most, the SATA-controller is very picky with SATA-3 HDs). There is IDE, but only used for connecting the DVD drive. Of course you can plug it off to copy the data from the IDE HDs, but I doubt there is enough space to run the DVD drive and an IDE HD simultaneously.

I am less active on the Ubuntu side as the only machine left where I regularly run Ubuntu MATE is my PG G4. The G5's are much better off with Gentoo, as the software stack is much more recent and they are fast enough for the compiling stuff.
    @ernst:

Appreciate the further details . . . it probably would be "too much" to expect that the hardware would remain "consistent" in apple products from year to year . . . obviously they are trying to build obsolescence into everything, making it "cheaper" to buy new than to try to retrofit stuff into a platform. But, no worries . . . have to decide whether I will buy back into PPC line or finally drop it and move forward. Only working PPC is my iBook . . . cpu too slow and RAM way under the minimum--Lubuntu is loaded on that one.

But, HD's aren't too expensive, so if I would just copy the data over to whatever drive comes with any G5er I might go for, not too much of a loss . . . . I see that I have a "GenToo AMD" DVD burned, but, possibly the install process was too "obtuse" for me, or they said they were "dropping support for PPC" ??? so I didn't move forward with the switch; but advice taken, if I get to G5 then I'll try to check it out again . . . for the "newness."

I have now a '12 MacPro with a 1TB regular HD which I have sliced up, 10.9 in one partition, 10.12 in another, and then various Ubuntu-MATE, as well as OpenSuse stable . . . right now my favorite squeeze is Gecko MATE . . . very clean interface, simple . . . nice distro of OpenSuse that works out of the box . . . for the Intel side of linux I do like OpenSuse . . . might check out the "Tumbleweed" side of things coming up later in the year . . . just for "kicks."

Take care,
    e..

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122