Thread: 15.04 Kate does not save preferences

Beans

15.04 Kate does not save preferences

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but Kate does not save any preferences or session data in an up to date Kubuntu 15.04 install. Running Kate from a terminal does not indicate any problems with saving the preferences or anything like that. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 15.04 Kate does not save preferences

Did you ever run sudo kate?

Beans

No, that makes no sense.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by brent View Post
    No, that makes no sense.
    People are told to edit files that require root access all the time. If they do sudo kate, then the config files will be created with root.root ownership under their userid's HOME. So ... from that point going forward, if they run kate normally, the settings are owned by root and cannot be changed.

It could also be that they did sudo nautilus and opened a file for editing that way, which would have the same negative effect.

I've seen where noobs ran sudo gedit as the first command on a new system and it created the ~/.gnome and ~/.gnome2 directories as root. No gnome programs could save any settings going forward. Most worked, but a few crashed.

Does this make sense now?

Beans

Hmm, I spoke too soon. I did run sudo kate somewhere shortly after setup, in order to modify /etc/fstab. Not sure if it was the first thing I did, but, following up, I see no kate-directory in ~/.kde/share/apps. I chmodded ~/.kde/share/ 755 just to be sure, but seems to have no effect.

But I suppose it seems so the config is never saved for some reason. Any further idea?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok then.

a) to edit any system files where your normal userid doesn't have permissions to modify, use "sudoedit /path/to/file" - there are other solutions, but THIS is the best one. If you don't like the default editor, set export EDITOR=/full/path/to/editor and put that line in your ~/.bashrc - you can use kate in the EDITOR, but it will NOT work correct over non-GUI connections like ssh.

b) run sudo chown -R brent:brent ~/.kde - if brent is your userid and default groupid. You can check that with the id command.

I nice, free, good, reference: http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Beans

I had chowned ~/.kde already too, no effect.

I'm quite familiar with the commandline btw, just not so much with distro or KDE specific stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry - assumed by the low bean count you were newer. ;|

I haven't used KDE in many, many, years. Where are config files placed? What are the ownership and permissions to get there in the directory structure? For most Ubuntu-based distros, config files are stored in ~/.config/ ...

# Find files in HOME that aren't owned by you
    find ~brent/ \! -user brent -print

Beans

Excellent, that find command led to a number of kate-related files in ~/.config and ~/.local (apparently ~/.kde is not used for everything). Chowning solved it, settings are now saved and read back properly. Thanks!

In general, do you think it's a problem to chown your own user dir? My first thought (because using find didn't occur to me) was to do that, but perhaps some software relies on differently owned files in ~.
    Last edited by brent; April 21st, 2015 at 03:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Great!

* Please mark the thread as "SOLVED" in the thread tools.
    * Please use "sudoedit" going forward. There are many reasons for this.