Thread: How can I backup my elementary OS system on a usb?

Beans

How can I backup my elementary OS system on a usb?

I just installed elementary os alongside my ubuntu install and, unlike ubuntu, it doesn't offer a native backup solution. I want to be able to make a backup so if I ever need to reinstall elementary I can just restore from my backup on my usb drive and have all my programs/settings in place. Is this possible?

Also, I already did a backup for ubuntu, if i restore in the future from that backup, will i have my programs and settings installed? Thanks in advance for the help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How can I backup my elementary OS system on a usb?

There are many ways to accomplish this even on Ubuntu. The "native backup solution" is just a regular program. You can install it and use it in elementaryOS if you like it.

Or you can install and use one of the other 20+ programs that make backups - however, many of those will not work with FAT or NTFS storage so be aware if that is your backup storage file system option.

You can make image-based backups or you can make file-based backups. Each has pros/cons of which to be aware. Whatever you do, it really isn't good to use something like tar for system backups - that is left over from the 1980s - there are many, better options today than ZIP, TAR, dump, or even rsync.

A few guides:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/108869/how-...Speed=noscript
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DuplicityBackupHowto

I prefer rdiff-backup, but it doesn't have a GUI, though not having a GUI is good for automation through cron.
    Last edited by TheFu; April 20th, 2015 at 03:38 AM.