Thread: Chuwi Vi8

Beans

Chuwi Vi8

Hi guys. Newly registered but long time visitor. I hope I am posting this in the right section. I just bought this cheap Chinese tablet and was looking into installing Ubuntu Touch on it. Has anyone done it? How does it work? Any tips? Thak you all for your time. Great information here!

Beans

Re: Chuwi Vi8

I am unfortunately taking a shot in the dark here as I haven't ever installed Ubuntu on a tablet and am not a programmer. However, I did do a search and found this page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices . Unfortunately your tablet (or any Chuwi product) is not listed as one someone successfully installed Ubuntu Touch on but that does not mean it can't be done. If you have the programming skills to attempt to install on your tablet (and if needed change the code to make it work) I wish you the best of luck getting Ubuntu Touch to work on this tablet. This tablet is likely not common in the Western countries (I know I haven't heard of it) but there is a growing user base in China where this came from, even the Chinese government is switching to Linux and I understand many agencies there are using Ubuntu (actually Kubuntu as it has the Chinese language pack in it, the Chinese federal government has actually banned their federal agencies from using Windows due to a battle with Microsoft about licensing). If you get this tablet working with Ubuntu it and word of that makes it over the pond to China you could expand Ubuntu's use quite a bit as others download your version (more accurately a re-spin) of Ubuntu Touch. I hope you are successful here.