Thread: Nvidia is at it again

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Angry Re: Nvidia is at it again

Thanks for the heads up on the firmware lockout. That rules out the nVIDIA® GM20x GPU's (meaning no dice for the GeForce® GTX™ 960 through 980/Ti, GeForce® GTX™ Titan X™, and Quadro® M6000).
    Last edited by bcschmerker; April 23rd, 2015 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Additional card excluded.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Nvidia is at it again

Take that article with a grain of salt.

It doesn't get the tenor of the details right. Read the Phoronix article.
    Last edited by QIII; April 17th, 2015 at 04:38 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Let me see if I understand this correctly,

Some people for ethical reasons will not use Nvidia drivers but the will use the open source Nouveau driver even though it is using binary code owned by Nvidia. Is that not apostasy?

Until NVIDIA finally delivers these signed firmware blobs (they're not even trying to get the source to the firmware, just the signed binary blobs) to Nouveau developers
    Those Nvidia graphic adapters will have to be beyond obsolete before I can afford one. And beside I have no objection to using a proprietary video driver.

If you're looking toward a new graphics card and don't mind using binary drivers, I'd still highly recommend the new GeForce GTX 900 graphics cards as the new Maxwell GPUs are fantastic performers and offer some great features that are supported well under Linux by the proprietary driver.
    Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

You don't have to be a FOSS purist to find this problematic.

I have no objection using the proprietary driver. In fact if I pay the $$$ for a Nvidia card I would get the best out of it (i.e using the proprietary driver), if I am satisfied with nouveau I would just get a Intel card, a lot cheaper and much easier to maintain and even performing a lot better (than nouveau). But it still sucks if nouveau would not work at all with the new cards. It is a good fall back and adequate for most basic purposes. How do you test a live iso without installing if nouveau doesn't work at all? And what about a few years down after Nvidia drops support if you can't run nouveau with these cards? Will these be just going to the landfill?

From the Phoronix article Nvidia said they would give nouveau dev the signed firmware, so it seems it is just due to laziness/disorganisation that they have not done it rather than malice, I hope this will get sorted out soon.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 17th, 2015 at 07:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity (or, in this case, just not bothering to get around to it.)

NVIDIA finally became a member of the Linux Foundation. I suspect this particular case is just due to "Uh, ooops. Boss, we forgot to figure out how to get this to work for the Open Source guys."
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

nVidia does not have a monopoly on the graphics adapter market. nVidia and Microsoft do make strange bedfellows but thats just the commercial end of 'buisness as usual'.The customers always right. If you slight your user base (even if it is FOSS) then you hurt the numbers because FOSS users will go elsewhere. nVidia will come around. They always do. Sometimes quickly , sometimes slowly. In the meantime I can experience great freedom, speed, ambiance and effervescence using Intel graphics adapters. So it will not take users long to get wary of 'nVidia Inside' stickies on more legacy boxes .. or even current.

I had a few glitches this (15.04) cycle with proprietary nVidia .. but they have fixed a lot of the earlier bugs.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity (or, in this case, just not bothering to get around to it.)
    Yep.

The best way to encourage Nvidia and AMD to pay more attention to Linux is to encourage more people to use Linux. They are not charities. More Linux users buying Nvidia/AMD hardware gives them more reason to add resources to their Linux work.

I've been told the primary motivation for their Linux work has been to cater to high-end workstation users who buy cards priced in the four figures.