Thread: build coustomized ubuntu live CD

Beans

build coustomized ubuntu live CD

Hi,
    I’m trying to create a customized version of the Ubuntu 14.04 LIVE CD, using the live-build scripts as follows :
    lb config --archive-areas "main universe" --distribution "trusty" --mode "ubuntu"
    lb build

This produces a live iso image that does not boot, I receive the following error:
    /casper/vmlinuz : file not found

If I force GRUB as boot loader, as follows:
    lb config --archive-areas "main universe" --distribution "trusty" --mode "ubuntu" –botloader “grub”
    lb build

the build step does not complete, it stops with the following error:
    E: Package 'grub-legacy' has no installation candidate

Can anyone help me?
    Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: build coustomized ubuntu live CD

No, i cannot. Just recalling, that Ubuntu Live-CD/DVD are quite unique (compared to other distros), since you can boot from those images even directly using grub2. So i would guess, there is nothing obviously easy, as even debian doesnt get that feature to work. Doesnt that error message hint you forward? Ubuntu-ISO's contain a subdirectory casper with the kernel and initram images inside. So i guess you need one too.

Beans
    Hidden!

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

It is a rather advanced task to create an iso file, that works to run Ubuntu live and to install Ubuntu. You can try with Remastersys or some fork of it.

But there are other methods. If it is not necessary to make an iso file, but you want to make a portable system, that can be run in 'any' computer from a USB pendrive or installed into other computers, you can make an OEM installed system. If you avoid proprietary drivers, it is portable between most computers. (You might have to install a proprietary driver for graphics or wifi, if you have certain chips for graphics or wifi.)

See these links

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...aller_Overview

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it

One Button Installer, 'OBI'

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

It is a rather advanced task to create an iso file, that works to run Ubuntu live and to install Ubuntu. You can try with Remastersys or some fork of it.

But there are other methods. If it is not necessary to make an iso file, but you want to make a portable system, that can be run in 'any' computer from a USB pendrive or installed into other computers, you can make an OEM installed system. If you avoid proprietary drivers, it is portable between most computers. (You might have to install a proprietary driver for graphics or wifi, if you have certain chips for graphics or wifi.)

See these links

One Button Installer, 'OBI'
    Thank You sudodus!
    Been using Linux for over 10 years now and this is first I have heard of 9w.
    Sorry for off topic, but greatful.
    Regards

Beans
    Hidden!

You are welcome

You might be interested in ToriOS - now at beta stage - which uses the OBI in a way, that is developed from the 9w installer.