Thread: Ubuntu: can it ever be taken seriously?

Beans

Lightbulb Ubuntu: can it ever be taken seriously?

Hello, before i start.. i don't want to start arguments, i just want to put across my thoughts in a frank way, because i think this matters.

I used Ubuntu about 2 years ago, extensively for weeks, at first i liked it but i soon realised its just not user friendly.
    It fine for browsing the Internet and basic day to day stuff that you can use the pre installed apps for, but as soon as you start wanting to install other applications the whole thing starts to turn into a headache.
    Thats when you find yourself googling away your life to find answers to problems your encountering, the answers invariably involve coding and nonsense... and usually written by people who think everyone is born a software engineer.

So thats my main problem with Ubuntu ^^^

So, like many i still have hopes for an alternative for Microsoft, i'm primarily a PC Gamer, 3D creation hobbyist.
    There is lots of talk of of new much better low level API's, i'm not going to go into detail but trust me its all a very good thing for people like me, other people like me also like the idea of an alternative to Mircosoft, many of us really don't like them.

So with that in mind the current game API is about to be replaced by one called "Vulkan" which is 10 time better than OpenGL, probably no exaggeration...

So yesterday i installed Ubuntu 14.04 to get ready for the new API with plenty of time to get reacquainted.
    The first thing i did was try in install Steam, errors.. nothing but errors. reminders of why i gave up on Ubuntu in the first place. after 3 hours Googling the problem and 40 something different fixes for the same problem it still isn't working.
    Somehow Steam seems to think that i have no 32Bit libraries when in fact i do....
    i cannot get it working.

I see so many people talk about trying out Ubuntu and most them come away from it aged 30 years and permanent migraines.

Is there any intention for this OS to be a viable alternative to Mircosoft? because if there is there is one truth. It must simply work, none of this; "compile this" "open terminal and write all of this code out and if your lucky it might work" "add these libs and then edit this and that lib"

None of that, just work.
    Last edited by humbug0001; March 29th, 2015 at 02:41 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu: can it ever be taken seriously?

not again...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    not again...
    Lol....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

...wasn't there a recurring section of some sort somewhere.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread closed.

I suggest starting a support thread in the proper sub-forum so we can see if we can fix your issue(s).