Thread: No more Maximise/Minimise Windo Buttons?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No more Maximise/Minimise Windo Buttons?

What is going on with Ubuntu 14.10? What used to be Nautilus (I don't even know what it's called now - the 'About' menu item has disappeared) and Gedit have no maximise/minimise buttons. Moreover, the Close Window button is on the right hand side, when every other app is on the left. How do Canonical allow that to happen? Sloppy.
    Last edited by pmorton; March 24th, 2015 at 12:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: No more Maximise/Minimise Windo Buttons?

Files (aka Nautilus) and Gedit, among other packages in Ubuntu, are Gnome designs and Gnome products products packaged by Canonical. I believe the plan is to replace them with homegrown apps when the newer Unity 8 code rolls out for the desktop sometime in the future.

Unity Tweak Tool exposes a fair amount of configurable options in Unity. So does dconf-editor, in a less friendly manner.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by pmorton View Post
    Gedit have no maximise/minimise buttons. Moreover, the Close Window button is on the right hand side, when every other app is on the left.
    Gedit in Ubuntu 14.10 has the close/min/max buttons on the left as with every other app. Perhaps you need to post a screenshot to illustrate what has gone wrong with your installation.

Are you running Ubuntu with Unity only or have you installed gnome 3 on top of Unity and somehow got yourself some sort of Frankendesktop?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Are you running Ubuntu with Unity only or have you installed gnome 3 on top of Unity and somehow got yourself some sort of Frankendesktop?
    That's my thought, as the buttons are where they should be running Vivid (15.04), on my desktop and notebook systems.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sounds like Gnome-shell to me...

Beans

Yea it sure does

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmorton View Post
    What is going on with Ubuntu 14.10? What used to be Nautilus (I don't even know what it's called now - the 'About' menu item has disappeared) and Gedit have no maximise/minimise buttons. Moreover, the Close Window button is on the right hand side, when every other app is on the left. How do Canonical allow that to happen? Sloppy.
    Are you using just Unity or did you also install the Gnome desktop on top of Unity?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re No more Maximise/Minimise Windo Buttons?

Thank for the advice. Regards.

I don't know! It's all got so confusing, that stuff. If I have installed Gnome 3, is there a simple way of getting back to something sane?
    Last edited by howefield; March 30th, 2015 at 11:51 AM.