Thread: Recommendations for USB DVB-T(2) Adapter

Beans

Recommendations for USB DVB-T(2) Adapter

I would like to add a second DVB-T dongle to an old Freecom device already happily working on a media server (Ubuntu Server 14.04). I have referred to the likes http://www.linuxtv.org but am still finding it difficult to select something that is (a) relatively inexpensive, (b) readily available and (c) stands a fair chance of working without having to make major changes to the server software. Would consider one with DVB-T2 capability, but that's not an essential consideration.

So I would appreciate suggestions from anyone who has recently purchased such a device and has got it working without too much drama.

TIA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Recommendations for USB DVB-T(2) Adapter

I think this one fills your criteria: https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wh..._USB_TV_Stick/
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion. What is needed in the installation of that TV stick on 14.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[QUOTE=jWhat is needed in the installation of that TV stick on 14.04?[/QUOTE]

Nothing!
    I mean, no user action required. I suppose that some firmware/drivers are being activated behind the scenes - therefore internet is required at least for the first use - but from the users' point of view it's just another plug&play peripheral. Right away you can scan for channels in whichever software you'll be using. Kaffeine is probably the easiest one but its look&feel is outdated. Kodi Media Center is probably the most elegant and powerful solution but also requires lots of tweaks and even the basic settings for TV aren't simple.
    The bundled remote control won't work, probably (I haven't tested because I use better solutions). Those remotes often require proprietary code that's included in the media center software (Windows) it comes with so don't keep your hopes high for a working remote in Linux with this or many other similar dongles.
    Needless to say the bundled antenna is also useless unless you're in the line of sight of, and at a proper distance, a transmitting tower.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

Great. Many thanks for the detail.