Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would happen if your email provider closed overnight?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Question What would happen if your email provider closed overnight?

Hi.

I'm curious as to what would happen if your email provider closed overnight. If you were given notice that it was closing in a few weeks or months you could edit your online account associated with that email address but if it suddenly went - there'd be chaos. To change passwords (as is recommended be done fairly frequently) - usually they send an email to you - also needed if you forgot your password - you see the problem straight away.

I know this scenario is extremely unlikely but maybe not impossible - especially if you used a lesser known email provider.

Any thoughts from you guys on this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Rytron; March 16th, 2015 at 10:45 PM.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What would happen if your email provider closed overnight?

Well... some people would be really annoyed.

Don't know how many of my online accounts might be affected. I doubt there's much verification of an address after registration.

Mail providers do go out of business, just like any other business. Gmail's there, for example, because Google makes money using it for ads. We have no guarantee that Gmail will be there forever.

Just shows that it's smart to keep local copies of your own mail, at least the stuff whose loss you can't risk. I'll admit I don't do that. (And I once accidentally zapped a Gmail account and 40,000 messages.) But, I do use two mail providers, and a copy of all mail to the account I rely on is forwarded to the the other account, where it sits on their servers, just in case.

Beans

Nothing. I maintain my own mail servers.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think the OP was asking about normal ​people, SeijiSensei.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

you know you have too much time on your hands when you run your own mail server
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I think the OP was asking about normal ​people, SeijiSensei.
    Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post

I've run mail servers for twenty years now. Most of that time was sunk in the past more or less except for fighting spam. The new batch that has appeared over the past year is carefully designed not to trip any of SpamAssassin's rules and has been especially difficult to trap.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; March 17th, 2015 at 04:27 AM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

not a ubuntu support request - moved to the cafe
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Rytron View Post
    If you were given notice that it was closing in a few weeks or months you could edit your online account associated with that email address but if it suddenly went - there'd be chaos.
    I have a number of domains that I use for e-mail and all could be reconfigured to point to a new provider quite quickly. All of my mail is also forwarded to Gmail as a backup and I have several local backups of various IMAP providers I have used over the years.

The best backup is, where appropriate, to extract important information and store elsewhere and in another format. I've lost a lot of mail over the years but it has never caused me a problem but YMMV as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    I wish I had the expertise and confidence to actually run my own mail server.

To get it back fully on topic...

I do agree it'd be chaos, but I also wonder if the provider would be legally bound to give some sort of duty of care. On the other hand laws are different in every country.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Thumbs up Re: What would happen if your email provider closed overnight?

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    not a ubuntu support request - moved to the cafe
    Sorry Sandy. I was unsure of the correct place to post the thread. Thanks for remedying this.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast