Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu-MATE vs. installing MATE desktop environment

Beans

Ubuntu-MATE vs. installing MATE desktop environment

I don't know if it is OK to ask here, but what would be the difference(s) in choosing to install Ubuntu-MATE as opposed to installing the MATE desktop on top of a standard Ubuntu version?
    I've done that before in a VM, apparently everything worked OK (as far as I can tell), now I'm wondering if there may be other advantages in installing an Ubuntu-MATE iso, apart from the fact that everything is already there.

Maybe there is also a better integration of the MATE components with the core OS? Or maybe unnecessary parts of the standard Unity desktop are not present in Ubuntu-MATE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Ubuntu-MATE vs. installing MATE desktop environment

One difference is Mate from the site is version 1.8 and on top of ubuntu currently is v1.6.

I don't know if ubuntu 14.10 is any different.

I run Mate 14.04 from the site and have not spent any time on Ubuntu-mate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

The first Ubuntu Mate official 15.04 release currently in development won't include long term support AFIK. If you install the Mate DE on 14.04 the under lying Ubuntu LTS will be supported for five years . There is always some clutter and application duplication after installing more than one desktop environment.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

They've made an image for the lts version, you can download it from https://ubuntu-mate.org/trusty/ . I installed that one and haven't had any problems (like missing components). Basically I prefer that method because, as Frogs Hair mentioned, you get less duplicated applications and unnecessary packages installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I do not run Mate on top of Ubuntu, but looking through the packages I think this may be the route to go.

mate-desktop-environment-core:
    This package depends on a very basic set of programs that are necessary to
    start a MATE desktop environment session. The set of programs includes the
    MATE window manager (Marco), the MATE file manager (Caja), the MATE
    control center and a limited set of other obligatory MATE desktop components.

Beans

Well... installing only mate-desktop-environment-core will give me a basic MATE environment whilst still keeping all the packages from the current desktop: I would not want that

I would rather install the iso suggested here https://ubuntu-mate.org/trusty/ (which as a matter of fact I had already downloaded), I just wanted to understand if I should still expect to find remnants of the Unity environment there (or any other desktop) or if that iso has been precisely tailored to only use the MATE desktop, cutting off all unneeded dependencies, libraries and so on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

that iso has been precisely tailored to only use the MATE desktop
    Yes, you get just the Mate desktop installed by default and nothing else, but you will find libunity packages installed. No way around that as far as I know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Just thought of something
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections > installed_apps
    Run that in a live session (try mate ubuntu session) and you will have a alphabetize list of all installed packages placed in your home folder.
    Last edited by v3.xx; March 22nd, 2015 at 08:22 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by v3.xx View Post
    Yes, you get just the Mate desktop installed by default and nothing else
    Yes, I have not done it myself but I expect it would be the same as KUbuntu, XUbuntu, etc. This would be the most elegant way of doing it so that you don't get duplicate file managers, etc.

Beans

Can Cinnamon and MATE co-exist? That is, if you use the Ubuntu MATE 15.04 (right now at beta 2) .iso for the install and then after, install Cinnamon? I am just curious. I tried Ubuntu MATE 15.04 (LIVE media) and really liked it. Perhaps, I wouldn't need Cinnamon but I am just wondering what the experience would be if you installed the Cinnamon desktop afterwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast