Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HPLIP is not installed properly

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: HPLIP is not installed properly

Try adding hplip-gui from software center. if that does not work.
    The go to a browser and enter the following address in the address line and try installing the printer via Cups.
    Code:
    localhost:631
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

I am also not managing to set my printer up on Ubuntu Vivid (beta 2). I need to use hplip for the model I have, it works fine on Trusty.

- I'm not seeing any crashes.
    - I can add the printer from the Ubuntu GUI OK but when I try to print the job will stop with a message of "Filter failed".
    - I've tried adding the printer via CUPS. Again I'm able to add the printer but I'm unable to print anything at all. Print jobs end up with a "stopped "Filter failed" state.
    - `hp check -t` reports that the package "libtool" is missing/incompatible when it is installed.
    - I've tried running `hp-setup`, it fiinds my printer but then says I need to install the driver. When I click OK to that I eventually get a vague "Plug-in install failed" message and I can't progress.

I'm running on a Thinkpad T450 and my printer is a Hewlett-Packard-HP-LaserJet-Professional-P-1102w. I've installed a fresh copy of beta 2 of Vivid this morning, I only started messing around with the hplip stuff after I couldn't get the included stuff to work.

Cheers, Dave.

Edit: I've now got my printer working by installing the foo2zjs driver and using that instead of the hplip one.

Edit 2: I eventually found best solution for my situation was to install Ubuntu 14.10, install a newer kernel and the drivers I needed for my laptop. That way all my hardware worked but I avoid bugs like this.
    Last edited by Dave_Barker; April 1st, 2015 at 02:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I did a manual install and printers work.
    Here: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...os/ubuntu.html
    One Team One Mission, Keep it all Open Source

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 9d9 View Post
    seems your vivid installation is borked: libtool is a gcc dependency, and gcc is always installed as it is mandatory
    libtool is installed, it just doesn't match what HPLIP is expecting.

Beans

Try this page. It seems there is an error in hplip
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...p/+bug/1430561

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Working through the bug report, which is somewhat out of date I found the fix for this problem.

Due to problems with the switch from Python 2 to 3, hplip was broken at the upgrade from 14.10 to 15.04. This problem affects all 'buntus, including Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. hplip is the system that allows most HP printers to work and without it there is "no printing".

Here is what I did to get my printer working:

1 Download hplip-3.15.4.run from http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/gethplip.html
    2 Run the command in a terminal: sh hplip-3.15.4.run and follow through the dialogue.
    * This returns: error: Printer queue setup failed. Error : successful-ok-ignored-or-substituted-attributes and then error: hp-setup failed. Please run hp-setup manually.
    3 Set up the printer from the printer GUI.
    4 Printing now works!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahunt View Post
    Working through the bug report, which is somewhat out of date I found the fix for this problem.

Due to problems with the switch from Python 2 to 3, hplip was broken at the upgrade from 14.10 to 15.04. This problem affects all 'buntus, including Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. hplip is the system that allows most HP printers to work and without it there is "no printing".

Here is what I did to get my printer working:

1 Download hplip-3.15.4.run from http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/gethplip.html
    2 Run the command in a terminal: sh hplip-3.15.4.run and follow through the dialogue.
    * This returns: error: Printer queue setup failed. Error : successful-ok-ignored-or-substituted-attributes and then error: hp-setup failed. Please run hp-setup manually.
    3 Set up the printer from the printer GUI.
    4 Printing now works!
    I believe if you make hplip-3.15.4.run executable before you enter sh hplip-3.15.4.run perhaps you will not get that error.
    chmod +x ~/Downloads/hplip-3.15.4.run or right click on it and got to properties and then permissions and check the execute box to allow executing file as program like I did.
    I didn't get any errors and printed a test page successfully.

I installed hplip-3.15.4 on my Mint 17.1 and Trusty 14.04 installs with directions that said to do that first.

I also chose custom because I didn't want the fax utility files installed because I have an HP Photosmart C3180 printer/copier/scanner and it does not fax.

I had been following this thread as I was interested in installing the drivers after final release.

Now thanks mission accomplished!
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen on Arch Linux
    Intel Core i7-4770K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Mobo: ASUSTeK, model: Z87-K, Mem: 16GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Series

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12