Thread: League of Legends on Ubuntu 14.04.2

Beans

League of Legends on Ubuntu 14.04.2

Hi guys. I recently discovered Ubuntu and I am quite new to this. I was wondering if I can run League of Legends on Ubuntu. I heard of two programs called Wine and PlayOnLinux but I am not sure if I can run the game on either. Thanks so much. Any info is appreciated.
    I'm very new to this and a detailed explanation would be very much appreciated for my nooby self. lol
    Last edited by Marc_Huo; March 10th, 2015 at 11:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: League of Legends on Ubuntu 14.04.2

PlayOnLinux is a "front-end" for Wine (in other words it uses Wine to run Windows applications). It makes Wine easier to use as there are pre-made scripts that set up Wine to work automatically with the windows application you are trying to use.

As for LoL on Linux, it is possible but there has been a few bugs making it very difficult to play (I am not sure if the bug affecting the in-game store has been fixed) and every time there is a game update there seems to be new breakage. What helps is if you keep an eye on the main Wine site as well as they will often show workarounds found by others when things break.

Best of luck and report back once you have started to try and have specific issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: League of Legends on Ubuntu 14.04.2

even if you could get it to work - with their next patch (and they patch often) the pain will (could) start again.

there is asimilar/same kind of game with native support called DoTA. as an alternative.

otherwise i suggest to play that game on windows instead.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla