Thread: Steam Client

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Steam Client

Hey everyone, my first post here. Im not exactly new to Linux, but this time ive installed Ubuntu and plan on keeping it. Im installing steam and i had an issue installing it, some libc.so.6 error. I resolved it when it happened and got it to work. today I update and restart my laptop, and the client wants to open, but yet again i get another lib error, just not the same number. Is there a permanent solution to this, or is steam just not yet ready for linux? Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Steam Client

How did you install Steam? Did you use the .deb file from the Steam website?

Also, what is the error you are currently seeing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

RE: Steam Client

the error message is saying it cannot run because of libc6.so (at least im pretty sure, currently at work). when i got the message the first time, i just messed with some apt-get to see if i can get a fix. It installed it, but when i try now to open steam, it wants to actually open, like steam shows up, but i get the same lib error just with a different number. The initial install steam did not want to start.

and yes from steampowered, then it took me to the store for "install"
    Last edited by howefield; March 7th, 2015 at 07:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi there.
    Try installing the Steam client through Ubuntu Software Centre,
    rather than going through the Steam website.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i was trying that, but was failing at even finding the client. When I go to steampowered to download it, it does redirect me to the app center though.

Idk if it helps or changes anything, but I have Ubuntu 14.04 installed on my Lenovo B570. running 8GB's of RAM and just an i3. other than that nothing special.
    Last edited by howefield; March 7th, 2015 at 07:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi again.
    Don't know what to tell you really.
    If you've installed Steam, but it won't launch I'd suggest uninstalling it & trying through Software Centre.
    I found 2 options for Steam when I looked in Software Centre, only one of which was any use - Steam (Steam Launcher).
    I don't think your hardware is an issue.

Ideally someone with more knowledge than me will be along to help soon....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you verymadpip, and ubudog. Ill keep trying. its not a huge deal because I do have my win7 power house 5 ft from it. if i end up getting it to work ill post back here. unless someone else gets an answer, then deff let me know!

So I actually answered my own question. with some digging, where i should have looked first. it says its currently not supported past ubuntu 12.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8366&l=english

thank you for the help.
    Last edited by howefield; March 7th, 2015 at 07:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Nonsens, no problems here on 1.404 with Unity. They probably meant 12.04 and later.
    I would reinstall from steam website, that worked for me.

Beans
    Distro

Hi there.
    Yeah, I'm up & running fine on 14.04, installed from Software Centre though.