Thread: Problems restoring an Left For Dead 2 Backup.

Beans

Question Problems restoring an Left For Dead 2 Backup.

Hi

Please read the entire query in details

My system specifications are as follows
    ================================
    Amd Athlon II X2 260 3.2 GHZ
    Asus M4N68-T LE-V2
    4GB DDR III 1333MHZ GSKILL RAM
    ASUS HD7750 1GD5 V2
    1 TB WD PURPLE
    500 GB WD GREEN
    (C: WINDOWS 7 SP1 250 GB , E: UBUNTU 234GB '/', 16 GB 'SWAP', F:463 GB) FROM 1TB
    (D: 146 GB BAD SECTORS G: 146 GB GOOD, H: 172GB GOOD) FROM 500 GB HDD
    ================================================== ===============

I am running steam successfully on a hdd partitioned for UBUNTU Linux 14.04 LTS

My linux is set to dual boot with Win7SP1 X64 ULT (which is installed first)

I applied all the updates to my 14.04.2 as auto requested by the Linux. I copied all the compressed backups of my steam games (which I took using steams backup and restore function in Win 7 SP1 64 bit) to default steam's backup folder in UBUNTU (/home/mandarpowale/.local/share/Steam/Backups). When I try to restore l4d2 it hangs at 7.2GB done saying 'writing to disk' , I have tried to give all the necessary info as possible from my end. If you need any more info i'll be glad to give it to you.

Please suggest a solution ASAP

Thanking you for your time to read the long description,

Mandar D Powale

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Problems restoring an Left For Dead 2 Backup.

Is the HDD doing anything (LED blinking, you hear it working, etc.)? It might be converting the old game format to steam pipe which can take a long time.

Beans

Hi, Good News is that Left 4 Dead 2 finally got installed. But it took a long long time. I want to create a data partition on one of my HDD. Please advise on how to do so. I want to use this partition to store the backup of my Steam Games.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by R33D3M33R View Post
    Is the HDD doing anything (LED blinking, you hear it working, etc.)? It might be converting the old game format to steam pipe which can take a long time.
    It is good to hear that old game format( perhaps your mean NTFS format) can be converted and Yes, the HDD LED was glowing all the time, system did not become unresponsive though. I feared for my HDD zapping out on me.

Beans
    Hidden!

Actually, I was talking about this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7388-QPFN-2491

Beans

Can I store my downloaded files on an NTFS partition without loss of integrity since I hear ext4 is more advanced than NTFS? And How do I format an NTFS partition into EXT4 journalling ?
    Last edited by mandarpowale; March 4th, 2015 at 05:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

To convert partitions use GParted. Move data off the partition, format it and then move data back. Be careful!