Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qt creator - Build app without the whole library?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Qt creator - Build app without the whole library?

Hello guys, I just downloaded Qt creator and I try build an app (from tutorial)..and somehow it's worked fine....I thought Qt Creator is just an IDE only....so what is the actual download in Qt-project website for 542-542 MB? Qt Creator is just 50-70 MB...

*I download and install it from software center.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Qt creator - Build app without the whole library?

I don't really understand your question but I'll attempt an answer. The 540MB download for Linux here http://www.qt.io/download-open-source/ is Qt 5.4.1 offline installer and includes "a stand-alone binary package including Qt libraries and Qt Creator". You are correct: the download of just Qt Creator 3.3.1 (from the same page) is much smaller.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Oh sorry....I'm bad at English....I just confused of how can I build an app with just Qt creator...without downloading the binary package from the official website?

Is Ubuntu come with Qt library installed?

That's my question

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are some Qt libraries installed, but not Qt Creator or other stuff you need for making Qt apps. They are available in the repositories, though. Quite a bit of stuff, from the looks of it. You don't have to download packages from the Qt site...unless you want the very latest thing (5.4 as opposed to 5.3 in the repos).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Wait..there is qt library in repos? (Thank god)...I don't need to download from the slow browser anymore...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ah..I found a book that call "C++ pattern design with Qt4" and it shows you to check if qt installed. I try to do sort of the commands, and it's available. Probably, Qt is already installed in our system without our information.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I take it you are referring to the following commands:

which qmake

and/or

qmake -v

For you, it should show that you have at least the minimum needed to create Qt apps, since you have installed Qt Creator using the Ubuntu Software Center. For me, the first command shows that I have qmake, while the latter gives me an error. Do not mistake the fact that we have some Qt related libraries installed for the ability to create Qt apps. In order to do that, we need to install extra software, such as Qt Creator.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It mean only the some of Qt library installed in Ubuntu to support other software that depends on the library? It mean the pre-installed library is not enough to unleash the full feature (community) of Qt and also not enough to build a more complex app?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Are you wanting Qt5 or Qt4? For Qt5 for the full development kit from the Ubuntu repositories you need: qtbase5-dev qtbase5-dev-tools and qtcreator. For Qt4 you need: libqt4-dev libqt4-dev-bin qtcreator. (Apologies if I've missed any.)

These development packages are not installed by default - you need to install them from the repos (via apt-get, synaptic, or whatever).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'm building with Qt5 (and learning) now, and is that the whole library to make a more better(complex) app instead of basics apps from tutorials? I don't want to download other third-party packages. It's better just to install from Ubuntu repos though

Anyway...I try your commands to install Qt5 package...and when I try run 'sudo apt-get install blablabla'....it's says the packages is already a new version....

Is that mean what I thought is true? The Ubuntu comes with Qt5 preinstalled?

(I never download anything from repos or the official website for Qt5, so I think ya..it is?)
    Last edited by flaymond; March 10th, 2015 at 07:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast