Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 14.04.1 with no swap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu 14.04.1 with no swap.

Hello all.

I have two machines running Ubuntu 14.04.1 and have disabled swap on both.

Machine #1: Core i7 3770, 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD.
    Machine #2: AMD FX-6300, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.

Machine #1 is a dual boot of Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu 14.04.1 and machine #2 is Windows 7 Home Premium and Ubuntu 14.04.1.

On both machines after install I turned off swap and then removed the swap partition using GParted. I have done this kind of thing since Ubuntu 12.04 as with no swap, there is no chance of the OS doing any writing to the SSD unintentionally. Since both machines have plenty of RAM and I don't hibernate, I found no need for swap.

Any thoughts?
    Windows XP - Excellent computer virus detector.
    Windows Vista - Most bloat for the money.

Visit my Ubuntu Resource Website http://www.stchman.com

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 14.04.1 with no swap.

should work just fine, with that much ram.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    should work just fine, with that much ram.
    Agreed, when I go to the System Monitor in Ubuntu, I am using about 1GB of RAM on each machine which is well short of the available RAM.
    Windows XP - Excellent computer virus detector.
    Windows Vista - Most bloat for the money.

Visit my Ubuntu Resource Website http://www.stchman.com

Beans

yeah, i only got 2gb & i've never gone over 1 gig. i watch a lot of videos & movies, even now i got netflix running all day & ram is 783mb, no swap(4gb) is being used, i don't tweak my swap so it's all system managed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Should be fine if you don't do video editing or huge data base work or ....
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans

Even with using VM I never get over 1.5 GB and that is running everything hard and to the max without a swap. I do have my VM set to use 4 GB on my SSD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A small swap partition (like a couple of hundred megabytes) is helpful to keep the kernel from dumping processes when you do run out of memory. Although with 32 GB, that would be rare, unless you are running a bunch of virtual machines. Even the raspberrypi running off of an SD card has a 100 MB swap file. It's doubtful that you will wear out an SSD with a small swap file that is only written to once in a while.

If you want to save power, then you might consider hibernate since reading the swap/hibernate file from SSD is reasonably quick and keeping 32 GB of RAM powered all the time (during sleep) will run up your power bill. Use a Kill-a-Watt meter to measure the power difference between sleep and hibernate. If you are burning 20 watts during sleep, then you might consider a swap file large enough to hold the RAM for hibernate.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    A small swap partition (like a couple of hundred megabytes) is helpful to keep the kernel from dumping processes when you do run out of memory. Although with 32 GB, that would be rare, unless you are running a bunch of virtual machines. Even the raspberrypi running off of an SD card has a 100 MB swap file. It's doubtful that you will wear out an SSD with a small swap file that is only written to once in a while.

If you want to save power, then you might consider hibernate since reading the swap/hibernate file from SSD is reasonably quick and keeping 32 GB of RAM powered all the time (during sleep) will run up your power bill. Use a Kill-a-Watt meter to measure the power difference between sleep and hibernate. If you are burning 20 watts during sleep, then you might consider a swap file large enough to hold the RAM for hibernate.
    Power-saving is a good reason to keep the swap partition.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    yeah, i only got 2gb & i've never gone over 1 gig. i watch a lot of videos & movies, even now i got netflix running all day & ram is 783mb, no swap(4gb) is being used, i don't tweak my swap so it's all system managed.
    That is very light use IMO. Maybe there is more difference between Ubuntu (Unity GUI) and Edubuntu (I run it with GNOME, there are several options) but with nothing but the system monitor running I use a gig of RAM, with normal web surfing or running videos I run about 1.5GB and with the hoggiest sites and six to eight tabs of that hoggiest site running I sometimes reach 2.5GB. I am running 3.5GB (actually it detects 3.2GB as it is a 32-bit computer), I actually added memory as it originally had 2GB RAM and every time I hit the cap and went into swap my computer slowed to a crawl. It never reached 2GB RAM used until a large update a few months ago and the hoggiest site I use was redesigned. Running Netflix (or anything for that matter) and only using 783MB of RAM using Ubuntu (I assume the current LTS version 14.04.2) makes me wonder what is going on with my computer. That actually sounds like the numbers I was getting with latest LTS Kubuntu and Xubuntu on my trial runs of them (with the RAM hog site I got numbers around 1.3-1.5GB of RAM used). Of course if you are still running Ubuntu version 12.04 that might explain the difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

hey guys, ok i am confused here. i read that you should always include a swap partition no matter how much ram you had. i have always added the swap partition and have never used it. the next thing is if i am reading your post right how can writting to the swap on a hdd create additional wear.

the poorguy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast