Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why to consider system76

Beans

Re: Why to consider system76

Quote Originally Posted by mooreted View Post
    I don't know why people complain about the cost. System76 doesn't make cheap Chinese junk like HP so naturally it's going to cost more. People need to learn that quality costs money.
    Hehe. You do realise that System 76 does not make laptops? They are rebranded Clevo/Sager laptops last time I checked with a possible modified bios.

Other side of the coin,
    http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...need_a_laptop/
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1926489

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mooreted View Post
    I don't know why people complain about the cost. System76 doesn't make cheap Chinese junk like HP so naturally it's going to cost more. People need to learn that quality costs money.

I'm glad you like your new system, I'm sure it will last you a good, long time.
    Not to mention, if you do a spec-for-spec comparison to what Lenovo, Dell, etc offer, you'll see System76 is actually *cheaper* in most cases. Every few months I'll do a comparison of a few of their units. I compared a System76 laptop and a Lenovo laptop, spec for spec. I forget the exact models at this point, but we were talking 1300 vs 1700 dollar difference, with System76 coming in the lead. Both systems were *identical* internally. Same size LCD. Same everything, as much as you could get with spec'ing out two entirely different laptop. Yet the price told the story. System76 is indeed more expensive than your average system, but it's a rock solid quality product, and in most cases, they're cheaper than an equally stacked competitor.

Beans

I hope it lasts you!

I personally don't buy system76 just because I always dual-boot windows and some form of linux, so I always try to buy a linux-compatible machine that already has windows on it, then partition the disk and install ubuntu or something else alongside windows. I need windows for school/work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuman001 View Post
    I hope it lasts you!

I personally don't buy system76 just because I always dual-boot windows and some form of linux, so I always try to buy a linux-compatible machine that already has windows on it, then partition the disk and install ubuntu or something else alongside windows. I need windows for school/work
    They do, or they did, provide an option to either partition the disk as you want (so you could leave a partition to install Windows on it) or they may even install Windows and make it dual-boot for you before they ship it out (naturally you'd be paying for the Windows license).

I think you just need to call/contact them to find out.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

I need windows for school/work
    Vbox?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Vbox?
    meh...too inconvenient

Beans

meh...too inconvenient
    How so? Much easier to set up than dual boot and don't need to reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

meh...too inconvenient
    Then you can do it like me: Borrow your father's computer and remotely connect yours to it.
    I'm doing that pretty frequently, since where I study we use C# and XNA that isn't supported on Linux due to Microsoft. With this technique, though, I can work on my regular Linux computer and do Windows homework on it.
    If you can't borrow your father's computer, or a Windows computer in general, this is probably not an option for you.

And in case anyone asks, I use file sharing and NOT hacking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustaf_Alhll View Post
    Then you can do it like me: Borrow your father's computer and remotely connect yours to it.
    I'm doing that pretty frequently, since where I study we use C# and XNA that isn't supported on Linux due to Microsoft. With this technique, though, I can work on my regular Linux computer and do Windows homework on it.
    If you can't borrow your father's computer, or a Windows computer in general, this is probably not an option for you.

And in case anyone asks, I use file sharing and NOT hacking.
    Where I work we can remote into the thin client server to do our work from home. Handiest thing possible because at home I'm running Linux so once I can get connected I have no issues running Windows.

On the personal side, add using OneDrive on Windows and onedrive-d or the browser interface on Linux and files are accessible where needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustaf_Alhll View Post
    since where I study we use C# and XNA that isn't supported on Linux due to Microsoft
    I assume you've checked out Monodevelop? It's no Visual Studio, but it works in Linux.

Maybe that support will change as Microsoft is open sourcing .NET and is trying to spread .NET access to other platforms with the help of Xamarin.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast