Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purging Apps?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Purging Apps?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Don't remember software center - does it hide dependencies so the user can't see what is being removed?
    Since I stopped using the software center I had to launch it to find out. When selecting more info I didn't notice and warnings about removal of 5 different apps - but I didn't try to remove any of them so I can't say for certain. I do know that Synaptic does provide dependiences info. I mistakenly assumed that the native software center would not permit removal of REQUIRED packages.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep View Post
    I mistakenly assumed that the native software center would not permit removal of REQUIRED packages.
    It warns you. If you choose to uninstall something that will also remove other packages, it will warn you and give you a list of affected software. It won't let you remove something that other packages depend on without also removing those.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I don't purge, just remove (from Kubuntu)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove kmail kontact quassel konversation

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    a) this is the cafe - not looking for a specific solution for myself. Wanted to learn what applications others find excessive.
    b) don't run a stock Ubuntu desktops here. The question was really for people running stock desktops with applications they don't want/need/desire.
    c) setups here are mostly scripted, so leaving packages that aren't actually on the system in the list to be purged doesn't hurt anything. Plus if the package is GONE, there isn't any worry it might accidentally get re-enabled later.

I generally install "server" (minimal was just too minimal), then add openbox for a desktop and the 10-15 applications that are actually desired. Most of my "desktops" run inside virtual machines over a network, so anything with 3D acceleration is useless. Real servers don't get a GUI, of course.

So - what applications do you purge from the normal desktop install?
    TheFu, I like you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuman001 View Post
    TheFu, I like you
    The Ubuntu Forums Cafe. Come for the chitchat, stay for the bromance
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bashiergui View Post
    The Ubuntu Forums Cafe. Come for the chitchat, stay for the bromance
    How do you know they're both men, despite the ubuntuman username??? I'm actually an neutered anteater.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    How do you know they're both men, despite the ubuntuman username??? I'm actually an neutered anteater.
    Rule 29 and 30, of course
    https://archive.org/stream/RulesOfTh...eInternet..txt

29. All girls are men and all kids are undercover FBI agents
    30. There are no girls on the internet.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans

Nothing wrong with a bromance! haha

I just meant that, TheFu seems like a guy I could get along with that's all lol

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So added another set of packages to be purged today. ibus*

Those were interfering with keepassx autotype on 1 system, but not all of them. Tried to use the suggested workarounds using environment variables first, as suggested by google code and AskUbuntu, no joy. Simply restarting it would lock all input to 1 window, not necessarily the one on top. No keyboard, no mouse inputs worked then. The problem has to be a fringe issue, since so many other applications aren't having problems.

keepassx is a core application to me. More important than pretty much any other apps.

However, sometimes, firefox got garbage input that didn't seem related to what was being typed at all. Hopefully this purge will clear that extremely seldom issue too.

As to the bromance ... that's nice, I suppose. I'm definitely opinionated and think I know what I want/like. Feel free to stop by the LUG in ATL sometime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12