Thread: Change ownership of new partition

Beans

Change ownership of new partition

I just created 2 new ext4 partitions using gparted on my primary hard drive. System is running Lubuntu current version. Cannot write to partitions.

I have seen many threads on this topic, and cannot get any of the solutions to work yet.

I hate having to do such tasks in terminal - is there any other way? Is there a way to recreate the partitions with correct ownership as workaround?

If neither, please help with correct terminal commands. Please, step by step and very complete and simple as possible - terminal is new to me.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Change ownwership of new partition

Quote Originally Posted by David4321 View Post
    I just created 2 new ext4 partitions using gparted on my primary hard drive. System is running Lubuntu current version. Cannot write to partitions.

I have seen many threads on this topic, and cannot get any of the solutions to work yet.

I hate having to do such tasks in terminal - is there any other way? Is there a way to recreate the partitions with correct ownership as workaround?

If neither, please help with correct terminal commands. Please, step by step and very complete and simple as possible - terminal is new to me.

Thanks!
    Partitions don't have permissions or ownership. The file system has permissions and ownership. What directories do you need access to?

The terminal is the easiest way of solving the problem. Post the output of
    Code:
    df -h
    ...this shows that various mounted partitions and their mountpoints.

Then we can assist you further.
    -BAB1

Beans

Re: Change ownership of new partition

It would also be useful to know the filesystem type on the new partitions, if they are Linux or other.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Change ownership of new partition

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    It would also be useful to know the filesystem type on the new partitions, if they are Linux or other.
    That was described in the first sentence of the OP's first post.
    I just created 2 new ext4 partitions using gparted on my primary hard drive.
    -BAB1