Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [How-To] Install Samsung wireless printer in Ubuntu (m2022w)

Beans

Re: [How-To] Install Samsung wireless printer in Ubuntu (m2022w)

Quote Originally Posted by lenooh View Post
    Recently I bought a Samsung wireless printer, and did not find much useful information on the internet how to install it.
    My printer is M2022w, but I guess the process should be similar for all Samsung wireless printers.

So here is how I got it working:

Overview:
    1. Download and install Samsung original printer driver
    2. Connect printer to your wireless network
    3. Add network printer using the printer settings wizard

Steps in detail:
    1. Step - Download and install Samsung original printer driver
    Visit www.samsung.com and under Support -> Printer, enter your printer model name.
    Scroll down to the drivers section, and download the Linux print driver. It will most likely be uld-something.tar.gz.
    Open terminal, cd to the download location and untar the file with:
    tar xvzf uld-something.tar.gz (enter the actual filename)
    Enter the just unpacked directory (probably uld/) and run:
    sudo ./install-printer.sh

This will copy the .ppd files and some other samsung stuff to system paths.
    There is also a file install-scanner.sh and install.sh. Use these if you want to install a scanner or if your printer also has a scanner incorporated.

2. Step - Connect printer to your wireless network
    This is now the tricky part, since their documentation consists of some 200 pages of broken English. I had to read it a couple of times until I figured it out.
    Connect the printer to a power plug, and add it some paper.
    Turn it on.
    Then press and hold the "WPS" button for 10 seconds (count in your head) and release. It should print 2 pages, one of them is "Network Configuration".
    Near the bottom of the page, is a PIN Number (8 digits).
    Using you laptop, check your available wireless connections. One of them should belong to the printer. Connect to it, and enter the PIN for the password.
    Find out your network IP (either in the terminal with ifconfig, or check connection properties).
    Open your browser and enter your IP (yes, your IP, not the printers!)
    Something called SyncThru Web Service should show up.
    In the top right is a "Login" link. Click it, and enter "admin" for ID, and "sec00000" for password.
    You will now see a new option "Settings". Open Settings -> Network Settings
    On the left select "Wi-Fi", then select "Easy Wi-Fi Settings", and follow the wizard to connect the printer to your wireless network. After that, the printer should restart and connect to your wireless network.
    With your laptop, connect back to your wireless network.

3. Step - Add network printer using the printer settings wizard
    Finally you can add the printer to Ubuntu. Open Settings -> Printers.
    Press Add. Wait for some time and the printer should appear under the Network printer.
    Select it, and make sure the connection type is AppSocket/HP JetDirect (in my case ipp did not work), and press Next. Ubuntu should find the printer driver by itself.
    Print a test page, and it should work.

To add the printer to other computers in your network, just do steps 1. and 3.

Hope this helps!
    This is too complicated for me. My Samsung doesn't produce this document when holding the WPS button down. I downloaded the drivers, but can't understand how I'm supposed to get them loaded up. Moreover, when I open my printer settings it doesn't even recognize the Samsung wifi that my regular wifi system readily sees.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This is too complicated for me. My Samsung doesn't produce this document when holding the WPS button down. I downloaded the drivers, but can't understand how I'm supposed to get them loaded up. Moreover, when I open my printer settings it doesn't even recognize the Samsung wifi that my regular wifi system readily sees.
    Hi! There is another way, it might be simpler for you. If you have VirtualBox installed and a windows image, you can configure the printer wifi settings with windows, then everything else you can do with ubuntu. I used an old version of WinXP (SP3). Make sure you have USB support configured in VirtualBox and the guest additions installed.
    Linux is everywhere.

Beans

Lenooh's explanation finally worked for me & my m2020w, with these clarifications
    - timing on that 10-second button push is critical, too short/long and you just get a "pages used" printout
    - it _is_ the printer's IP you need to enter in browser, after connecting to its network
    - the annoying "change password" dialog goes away even if you change admin password to the default
    - printer cannot successfully set up WEP, i changed my hub to use WPA (and re-keyed every device we own) and it worked
    - setting up fixed IP, then changing to DHCP later, seems to work better than initial DHCP specification
    - printer will not connect to your wifi while the wifiDirect option is enabled, disable it as final act
    - settings will not take effect until Security->Restart option is selected
    - power off for several minutes still seemed necessary, and wifi startup was slow, but it worked

Beans

Lenooh, just registered to say l love you man. Couldn't find anything on Samsung website, nothing worked, almost wanted to give up, then found your thread. It works perfectly on Arch linux too. Thanks! I owe you a beer.

Beans

My 2030dw uses "x" button for network config printout. 2 seconds for demo, 4 seconds for network config, 6 seconds for consumption counts. Also on network config pin did not work for connect, but password did. Find driver on samsung site, you will have to click multiple dirver files until you find the tar file "uld" After that everything else in instructions worked fine.

Beans

First time I installed the printer, I followed all the steps and worked perfectly fine.
    Then I had to reinstall Ubuntu, so I followed all the steps again, only this time there seems to be no way I can print. Everything works fine until I try printing a test page, then a popup message appears immediately, saying "Printing stopped". Same exact problem via USB.
    Can someone help me?

Beans

Excelent lenooh. Tks so much. Just when you say put your IP adress, in my case was in the NETWORK CONFIGURATION page and isn't the real IP adress that figure in my computer.

Beans

As for
    Select it, and make sure the connection type is AppSocket/HP JetDirect (in my case ipp did not work), and press Next. Ubuntu should find the printer driver by itself.

Well, I have downloaded the latest drivers from http://www.driversamsung.com/samsung...wnload-driver/ and the AppSocket/HP JetDirect and IPP are gone.
    There is only one single option which is "LPD network printer via DNS-SD" and it works like a charm.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lenooh View Post
    Recently I bought a Samsung wireless printer, and did not find much useful information on the internet how to install it.
    My printer is M2022w, but I guess the process should be similar for all Samsung wireless printers.

So here is how I got it working:

Overview:
    1. Download and install Samsung original printer driver
    2. Connect printer to your wireless network
    3. Add network printer using the printer settings wizard

Steps in detail:
    1. Step - Download and install Samsung original printer driver
    Visit https://www.drivers-samsung.com and search for m2022wPrinter .
    Scroll down to the drivers section, and download the Linux print driver. It will most likely be uld-something.tar.gz.
    Open terminal, cd to the download location and untar the file with:
    tar xvzf uld-something.tar.gz (enter the actual filename)
    Enter the just unpacked directory (probably uld/) and run:
    sudo ./install-printer.sh

This will copy the .ppd files and some other samsung stuff to system paths.
    There is also a file install-scanner.sh and install.sh. Use these if you want to install a scanner or if your printer also has a scanner incorporated.

2. Step - Connect printer to your wireless network
    This is now the tricky part, since their documentation consists of some 200 pages of broken English. I had to read it a couple of times until I figured it out.
    Connect the printer to a power plug, and add it some paper.
    Turn it on.
    Then press and hold the "WPS" button for 10 seconds (count in your head) and release. It should print 2 pages, one of them is "Network Configuration".
    Near the bottom of the page, is a PIN Number (8 digits).
    Using you laptop, check your available wireless connections. One of them should belong to the printer. Connect to it, and enter the PIN for the password.
    Find out your network IP (either in the terminal with ifconfig, or check connection properties).
    Open your browser and enter your IP (yes, your IP, not the printers!)
    Something called SyncThru Web Service should show up.
    In the top right is a "Login" link. Click it, and enter "admin" for ID, and "sec00000" for password.
    You will now see a new option "Settings". Open Settings -> Network Settings
    On the left select "Wi-Fi", then select "Easy Wi-Fi Settings", and follow the wizard to connect the printer to your wireless network. After that, the printer should restart and connect to your wireless network.
    With your laptop, connect back to your wireless network.

3. Step - Add network printer using the printer settings wizard
    Finally you can add the printer to Ubuntu. Open Settings -> Printers.
    Press Add. Wait for some time and the printer should appear under the Network printer.
    Print a test page, and it should work.

To add the printer to other computers in your network, just do steps 1. and 3.

Hope this helps!
    hi thank you for the detailed installation instruction about installation
    installed successfully

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12