Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [How-To] Install Samsung wireless printer in Ubuntu (m2022w)

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

[How-To] Install Samsung wireless printer in Ubuntu (m2022w)

Recently I bought a Samsung wireless printer, and did not find much useful information on the internet how to install it.
    My printer is M2022w, but I guess the process should be similar for all Samsung wireless printers.

So here is how I got it working:

Overview:
    1. Download and install Samsung original printer driver
    2. Connect printer to your wireless network
    3. Add network printer using the printer settings wizard

Steps in detail:
    1. Step - Download and install Samsung original printer driver
    Visit www.samsung.com and under Support -> Printer, enter your printer model name.
    Scroll down to the drivers section, and download the Linux print driver. It will most likely be uld-something.tar.gz.
    Open terminal, cd to the download location and untar the file with:
    tar xvzf uld-something.tar.gz (enter the actual filename)
    Enter the just unpacked directory (probably uld/) and run:
    sudo ./install-printer.sh

This will copy the .ppd files and some other samsung stuff to system paths.
    There is also a file install-scanner.sh and install.sh. Use these if you want to install a scanner or if your printer also has a scanner incorporated.

2. Step - Connect printer to your wireless network
    This is now the tricky part, since their documentation consists of some 200 pages of broken English. I had to read it a couple of times until I figured it out.
    Connect the printer to a power plug, and add it some paper.
    Turn it on.
    Then press and hold the "WPS" button for 10 seconds (count in your head) and release. It should print 2 pages, one of them is "Network Configuration".
    Near the bottom of the page, is a PIN Number (8 digits).
    Using you laptop, check your available wireless connections. One of them should belong to the printer. Connect to it, and enter the PIN for the password.
    Find out your network IP (either in the terminal with ifconfig, or check connection properties).
    Open your browser and enter your IP (yes, your IP, not the printers!)
    Something called SyncThru Web Service should show up.
    In the top right is a "Login" link. Click it, and enter "admin" for ID, and "sec00000" for password.
    You will now see a new option "Settings". Open Settings -> Network Settings
    On the left select "Wi-Fi", then select "Easy Wi-Fi Settings", and follow the wizard to connect the printer to your wireless network. After that, the printer should restart and connect to your wireless network.
    With your laptop, connect back to your wireless network.

3. Step - Add network printer using the printer settings wizard
    Finally you can add the printer to Ubuntu. Open Settings -> Printers.
    Press Add. Wait for some time and the printer should appear under the Network printer.
    Select it, and make sure the connection type is AppSocket/HP JetDirect (in my case ipp did not work), and press Next. Ubuntu should find the printer driver by itself.
    Print a test page, and it should work.

To add the printer to other computers in your network, just do steps 1. and 3.

Hope this helps!
    Linux is everywhere.

Beans

Re: [How-To] Install Samsung wireless printer in Ubuntu (m2022w)

Thank you very much, lenooh! I thought that the web interface of the printer didn't allow to setup WiFi, but it does, when we're logged in.

I am using Debian, and I installed the driver via http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/ instead of using the driver supplied by Samsung. I have the M2020W model, and the package suld-driver2-1.00.35 worked for me.

Beans

[QUOTE=lenooh;13218825]Recently I bought a Samsung wireless printer, and did not find much useful information on the internet how to install it.
    My printer is M2022w, but I guess the process should be similar for all Samsung wireless printers.

I tried this under Ubuntu 12.10.

Steps in detail:
    1. Step - Download and install Samsung original printer driver
    Visit www.samsung.com and under Support -> Printer, enter your printer model name.
    Scroll down to the drivers section, and download the Linux print driver. It will most likely be uld-something.tar.gz.
    Open terminal, cd to the download location and untar the file with:
    tar xvzf uld-something.tar.gz (enter the actual filename)
    Enter the just unpacked directory (probably uld/) and run:
    sudo ./install-printer.sh

Indeed, the current version is ULD_v1.00.35.tar.gz. After unpacking this, and searching around, I found no .ppd file for the M2022W printer.
    The closest ones are:
    Samsung_ML-2010_Series.ppd
    Samsung_M2020_Series.ppd
    I tried ML-2010 in "system-config-printer" , but that led to failure when printing the test page ("SPL ERROR...").

I also tried M2020, but that does not print a page.

Which .ppd file is the relevant file for the M2022W printer?

This will copy the .ppd files and some other samsung stuff to system paths.

I am unsure about this. I looked around in e.g. /etc/cups/ppd/ or /usr/share/cups/, and no trace of updated files. I gave the M2020 ppd file manually, by specifying its original location (from the untar).

3. Step - Add network printer using the printer settings wizard
    Finally you can add the printer to Ubuntu. Open Settings -> Printers.

Here I would note that the system config under Ubuntu 12.10 for printers is very primitive, and is missing all the relevant options. You have to use system-config-printer.

Press Add. Wait for some time and the printer should appear under the Network printer.
    Select it, and make sure the connection type is AppSocket/HP JetDirect (in my case ipp did not work), and press Next. Ubuntu should find the printer driver by itself.
    Print a test page, and it should work.

This is where I got stuck. Printer shows up under network printers as M2020. I configured it as AppSocket, but no test page prints.

If I config the printer as general postscript, then it prints an ascii/text page, complaining that "if you can
    read this, you misconfigured your printer" or such.

Any advice on this would be welcome. My guess is that I am missing the relevant and up-to-date .ppd file.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hi gbakos2!

Indeed, the current version is ULD_v1.00.35.tar.gz. After unpacking this, and searching around, I found no .ppd file for the M2022W printer.
    The closest ones are:
    Samsung_ML-2010_Series.ppd
    Samsung_M2020_Series.ppd
    I tried ML-2010 in "system-config-printer" , but that led to failure when printing the test page ("SPL ERROR...").

I also tried M2020, but that does not print a page.

Which .ppd file is the relevant file for the M2022W printer?
    I never manually copied any .ppd files. Just run the install script.

Here I would note that the system config under Ubuntu 12.10 for printers is very primitive, and is missing all the relevant options. You have to use system-config-printer.
    Why? I installed the printer with no problems on Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 in the same way, using the ubuntu printer configuration.
    Linux is everywhere.

Beans

Thanks for the clear instructions Lenooh. Worked first time..

Beans

Ciao,
    ho letto una tua risposta e la tua guida circa l'installazione della stampante Samsung M2026w su ubuntu ed è per questo che ti chiedo una mano: sto impazzendo.

Ho comprato la stampante e dopo non poche difficoltà l'ho installata. Funziona correttamente se collegata via USB ma via wireless non so come fare.
    Ho seguito la tua guida (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2263245) pero' sinceramente le due pagine che mi stampa dopo aver tenuto premuto il tasto WPS non mi producono nessun numero PIN.
    Se seleziono la rete wireless della stampante me lo chiede e io non so come cavarmela.
    Inoltre, se io dovessi indovinare il PIN come dovrei fare per stampare? Collegarmi alla wireless della stampante "mollando" la mia wireless di casa?

Grazie mille in anticipo.

Beans

I have a cli only Ubuntu 14.04 system. I ran the install script, but can't figure out how to configure the printer for the system via the command line interface. Any ideas? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you have CUPS installed, you can visit the web interface.

Locally: open localhost:631 in lynx or some other CLI browser

If you want to administer it remotely, see here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/23936...-web-interface
    Linux is everywhere.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lenooh View Post
    If you have CUPS installed, you can visit the web interface.

Locally: open localhost:631 in lynx or some other CLI browser

If you want to administer it remotely, see here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/23936...-web-interface
    Thanks for the quick reply. I used Lynx http://localhost:631 to get to the CUPS configuration as suggested. Unfortunately, I can see that printing to PDF file is still default. Any idea how to change that in the cli, other than editing the configuration file, or is that the way it is done? Lastly, how do I ensure that all my cli apps can print to the printer? Is there a special configuration that needs to be done for printing from the cli?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by globetrotterdk View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I used Lynx http://localhost:631 to get to the CUPS configuration as suggested. Unfortunately, I can see that printing to PDF file is still default. Any idea how to change that in the cli, other than editing the configuration file, or is that the way it is done? Lastly, how do I ensure that all my cli apps can print to the printer? Is there a special configuration that needs to be done for printing from the cli?

Thanks
    Make sure you add the printer.

Then, move to "Printers" section, select your printer, and then choose "Set as server default".

To print from the command line, use lpr: http://askubuntu.com/questions/43274...m-command-line
    Linux is everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast