Thread: How do I identify unnecessary processes running in the background and disable them?

Beans

How do I identify unnecessary processes running in the background and disable them?

In a new laptop I have installed lubuntu based on ubuntu 14.04.1 and it is advised that unnecessary processes running in the background be stopped to save battery backup duration. How do I identify those processes and disable them? I know that stopping a necessary process by mistake can be extremely harmful so may be keeping processes undisturbed may be good but increasing battery backup time is also necessary. So how do I proceed?

Beans

Re: How do I identify unnecessary processes running in the background and disable the

The easies method is probably using htop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How do I identify unnecessary processes running in the background and disable the

You could also check in 'Session and Startup' and see what you have starting at boot.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Or

Open up your System Monitor and go to Processes. From there you can kill any running process and see what effect it has on your system. If you bork your system a reboot will restore you to default.

Also check out 'powertop'.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Po...t/ReducedPower

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You could also install bum (BootUpManager) and use that to stop any services that are definitely not needed.

But take some care as some services that you think are unnecessary may actually be needed by something else that you do want or need.

kjohri is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Run htop. It will give you a fair idea what processes are running and how much system resources each process is using.