Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Vivid Vervet Alpha2 install. Default grub is always wrong.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: My Vivid Vervet Alpha2 install. Default grub is always wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    I might be (very) wrong but if You let primary Linux install put Grub in MBR and subsequent Linux install(s) to put their Grub in PBR then You should be set, bullet-proof, against upgrades of any of those Grub(s) etc.
    Thanks for that clear explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Get a new kernel - that updates the grub for *that* install.

The grub which is installed in the MBR won't know anything about that - until it's updated with update-grub, then it will see changes.

You can probably chroot and update - but I've no interest in doing that.

I've never needed to do grub-install to do any of that - thought I've needed to when things get broken of course.
    Ditto thanks for the clarification. Now I have it etched in concrete.

And I too shall abide by these rules forever more! But, I do understand that I cannot fix it that way now. It has to be done when installing each install initially selecting "something else".
    So my grub in MBR now gets constantly changed when any of them get updated. I see that now.

I think I will install Trusty 14.04.2 over Precise 12.04 when it's released on February 5th and the other installs can be easily backed up and clean installs performed.
    Then I will comprehend where you all are coming from finally when I see it with my own eyes. Plus it'll be something to keep me off the streets.

My partitions are out of sequence besides that. The pc is old but my daughter just gave me this hard drive a year ago for Christmas. So, I should be good for a while then.

Again thanks very much for the posts!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

BTW, isn't this a fine looking grub menu here on Vivid?

The picture is a little crooked but I never said I was a Ubuntu expert or a photographer either. I'm just a minion like a lot of people are.

Beans

But, I do understand that I cannot fix it that way now. It has to be done when installing each install initially selecting "something else".
    So my grub in MBR now gets constantly changed when any of them get updated. I see that now.
    That's not true. That's where this command comes into play:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
    When you run that command in each of your currently installed Ubuntu installs you can change where grub is installed and the change will remain in place during kernel updates and things that cause update-grub to be run. Just be sure you know where you want grub installed!

I think I will install Trusty 14.04.2 over Precise 12.04 when it's released on February 5th
    Just a word of caution; if 14.04.2 gets the Utopic HWE stack as previously planned it'll end up in HWE EOL shortly after 16.04 is released. Have a look at the support life cycle here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEn...Kernel_Support

A lot of users were upset when they discovered their 12.04.2, 12.04.3, and 12.04.4 installs required a major kernel and Xstack upgrade nearly three years before Precise itself reached EOL.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

But, I do understand that I cannot fix it that way now. It has to be done when installing each install initially selecting "something else".
    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    That's not true. That's where this command comes into play:

Code:
    When you run that command in each of your currently installed Ubuntu installs you can change where grub is installed and the change will remain in place during kernel updates and things that cause update-grub to be run. Just be sure you know where you want grub installed!

I think I will install Trusty 14.04.2 over Precise 12.04 when it's released on February 5th
    Just a word of caution; if 14.04.2 gets the Utopic HWE stack as previously planned it'll end up in HWE EOL shortly after 16.04 is released. Have a look at the support life cycle here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEn...Kernel_Support

A lot of users were upset when they discovered their 12.04.2, 12.04.3, and 12.04.4 installs required a major kernel and Xstack upgrade nearly three years before Precise itself reached EOL.
    Thanks for that information! I'll do that and keep my grub on Trusty where I have kept it most of the time,

Sounds like a bummer about 14.04.2. I'll have to read that when I can. Precise is supposed to be good until 2017 so I may not do a whole lot.

Thanks for the post!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, I read some of that article. Just enough to see that they are switching kernels within the lifecycle I believe is what you were getting at.

I guess I'll just leave it as it is for the time being. At least I've got until 2017 for Precise which I'm sort of fond of.

I'll probably do this when I get a chance.
    Code:
    You all can keep your grub on whatever system you like. I have to be kept up to date of when grub changes for my wiki so I'll likely keep it on the development system.
    I've never seen grub change drastically during it's system life cycle at least in my limited 5 or so years of dealing with Linux.
    So, once a system is at final release I can relax until the next developement system comes up. It's just /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme that changes where to put the font colors mainly.

I've never seen grub go awry at any time during the developmental cycle but even if it should I have done a couple of grub rescues in my time and can get around that.

I'll probably add this information to the bottom of my wiki about having one grub control all of the systems.

Thanks again for all of the information and help!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234