Thread: Is it possible to identify the packages installed using "apt-get install" command?

Beans

Is it possible to identify the packages installed using "apt-get install" command?

In my desktop running Ubuntu 12.04 I had installed several programs using sudo apt-get install command. Now I have installed lubuntu in a laptop in which some of those programs should be installed (e.g., gimp, xfig, latex, c++ compiler). Is it possible to identify the packages installed and copy to the laptop using pendrive and manually install the required programs? Please indicate how this can be done.

Beans

Re: Is it possible to identify the packages installed using "apt-get install" command

The package manager keeps log files in '/var/log/apt/history*'. The older logs are gzip compressed, the log files are rotated, only the last twelve are kept with '/var/log/apt/history.12.gz' being the oldest.

The command
    Code:
    (zcat /var/log/apt/history.log.{12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1}.gz; cat /var/log/apt/history.log)|grep -B 1 'Install:'
    concatenates the logs, searches for installations and prints the command used for installation and the list of installed packages.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Is it possible to identify the packages installed using "apt-get install" command

Maybe dpkg-repack would work for you.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&cof=FORID:9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you run
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections >> packages.txt
    It'll make a text file(called packages.txt) in your home folder, which will list ALL packages currently installed on your system.

You can then reverse this and install these packages, as a whole, with
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --set-selections < package.txt
    sudo apt-get -u dselect-upgrade
    You can also reinstall directly from a custom file, which is actually really simple,
    Make a file and list one package per line, something like
    Code:
    gimp
    audacity
    vlc
    and any other files you want and save it as a txt file.
    Then run apt-get install like so,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install $(cat my-saved.txt)
    and apt-get will read through the txt file and begin installing whatever packages are listed.

I personally find the second method easier, as adding packages to a text file is quite simple.
    (And I tend to install packages willy-nilly and quite a few would have no real need to be re-installed, which is troublesome to remove from the get-selections method, but no trouble with the $(cat file.txt)
    method.

On another note, the Ubuntu Software Center can also show you all installed packages, go to Installed.
    (Though the software center is nowhere near as fast...)

Also, these ,method require a network connection.
    If what you ask is if it is possible to transfer the packages without an internet connection, it is, sort of.
    (And I'm on the fence about recommending it)

When you install a package from Ubuntu's repositories if downloads a debian package.
    That debian packages gets stored in a folder in /var/cache/apt/archives.
    If you never run the command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    you would have all those install packages, or else it would be emptied by that command.
    So if you wanted to try and install from those packages, you could copy them into a personal folder and to reinstall you could run
    Code:
    cd folder-where-I-stored-those-deb-packages
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb

I do not know how helpful any of this may be, but there it is...
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@DeadFlower...

thanx for these really great time saving tips....

learned something new today....
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, MX 18.3 Linux
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"--Unknown