Thread: State of dictation?

Beans

State of dictation?

Layed up for a while after surgery, not able to type well. Since voice recognition is now common on windows/ios/android, i was surprised to see little available for linux. i'm interested in straight dictation (into a text file/box) rather than voice commands. Seems that palavar can do this if i can figure it out, although it isn't being actively developed it seems. Any other options?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: State of dictation?

Just did a search in Synaptic Package Manager for 'speech recognition' and found one called 'simon'. There is another one I played with a few years ago, not in the repos from memory, but can't remember its name. Will have a dig around. Some versions of Dragon Naturally Speaking work quite well in Wine apparently, if you already have it and could be bothered with Wine (Dragon is not a cheap piece of kit, though!).

Good luck. Interested to see how you go.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 18th, 2015 at 02:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think you can use Google voice-to-text in Google Docs. Nope. Not yet. But you can use your phone as a dictation tool and speak into a Google Docs on your phone. When you are finished you can open the document on your desktop to edit. Not convenient. http://blog.texthelp.com/2013/09/spe...t-google-docs/

Some other suggestions: https://productforums.google.com/for...cs/Uea8PmV6tZo
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Just did a search in Synaptic Package Manager for 'speech recognition' and found one called 'simon'. There is another one I played with a few years ago, not in the repos from memory, but can't remember its name. Will have a dig around. Some versions of Dragon Naturally Speaking work quite well in Wine apparently, if you already have it and could be bothered with Wine (Dragon is not a cheap piece of kit, though!).

Good luck. Interested to see how you go.
    I saw Simon. I'm not sure what to do with it though. Lack of documentation is a killer. Some of these I'm not sure if they're apis or just backends/libraries of some sort. Whenever I use wine I feel like I'm cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    I think you can use Google voice-to-text in Google Docs. Nope. Not yet. But you can use your phone as a dictation tool and speak into a Google Docs on your phone. When you are finished you can open the document on your desktop to edit. Not convenient. http://blog.texthelp.com/2013/09/spe...t-google-docs/

Some other suggestions: https://productforums.google.com/for...cs/Uea8PmV6tZo
    Yeah, I saw something about Google docs but couldn't figure out how to get it working. Otherwise I'll just use my phone I guess. Really hoping for a Linux native solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try this on Chrome: https://dictation.io/
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

I just installed a Chrome App called voice note 2 . Looks like there are quite a few options if you're willing to use Chrome extensions. Not perfect, but certainly serviceable. I'm currently using it right this reply, and it's doing a pretty good job. I'm not getting anything, so you can see how the actual transcription is. So you can see there are a couple of typos, but overall not bad.It also seems to be somewhat trainable, so it should improve over time.

Beans

just tried the chrome app for speech recognition. cute, limited, only helps if you are dictating plain text. built in microphones reduce accuracy to where the app is unusable. I'l have to try it with a real headset. it also needs correction capabiity.

Beans

Dragon Naturally Speaking works with WINE. I have version 12

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi, is there any improvement on this field? I need to use a speech recognition software and still stucked on windows 10. Ideally, I'd need a software (free or not) that works on both platforms and keep the same "learning experience" so that when I switch from linux to windows it is the same.
    Are you aware of something similar?
    Thanks
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
    (Noam Chomsky)