Thread: Gnome Stability Problems ?

Beans

Question Gnome Stability Problems ?

I've heard there are Gnome Stability Problems, is this true and if so how common is it or how wide spread is it?
    How do the stibility problem effect the Operating System? Do the graphics get messed up or the mouse stop working or does it cause a reboot or the computer to lock up solid so much that only hitting the reset button or holding the power button is the only way to reboot the computer because even the keyboard is locked up so you can't use Ctrl f-2 to get a command line prompt to shutdown with a terminal command.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Gnome Stibility Problems ?

Launchpad's latest bug reports are here for ubuntu gnome. Are you using gnome with ubuntu or just considering it?
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dallase1 View Post
    I've heard there are Gnome Stability Problems, is this true and if so how common is it or how wide spread is it?
    How do the stibility problem effect the Operating System? Do the graphics get messed up or the mouse stop working or does it cause a reboot or the computer to lock up solid so much that only hitting the reset button or holding the power button is the only way to reboot the computer because even the keyboard is locked up so you can't use Ctrl f-2 to get a command line prompt to shutdown with a terminal command.
    other than being a little slow/laggy it seemed fine to me.
    i'm currently trying the gnome shell on debian cause i wanted to see if it was normal, seems to be the same as ubuntu. you click on something it takes a sec to do whatever, than it does whatever you clicked on. it's just that little stutter that annoys me, but once your in a app it's all good.

ps: i've had no crashs, no errors, no lock ups, nothing unstable yet.
    Last edited by kerry_s; January 12th, 2015 at 05:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dallase1 View Post
    What version of GNOME are we talking about? Your version of GNOME depends on what version of Ubuntu GNOME you're running.

On my main system I'm running Ubuntu Vivid (a.k.a Ubuntu 15.04) with GNOME version 3.14.3 and it is neither slow, have funny graphics nor does it freeze randomly. I experienced a few glitches yesterday, as in slow response from web sites but that's Firefox (35) specific, not GNOME specific.

GNOME is a joy to work with, and it run for hours on end without problems, day after day.

Beans

15.04 isn't that still alpha?
    so daily build? i might give it a go later, downloading now.
    i'm currently playing with debian, i did gnome already, now i'm trying the xfce4. i got the net installer, it lets you select which de you want to install.

ps: what kind of specs you running on? i'm using a clunker i put together, it has an atom 330 1.6ghz x4, 2gb of ram, i bought a 60gb ssd to try to gain some speed, using the 80gb hd for swap & storage.
    Last edited by kerry_s; January 12th, 2015 at 10:11 AM.

Beans

I have GNOME 3.4.2

This is what is says under Details in System Settings.

Memory:3.8 GiB
    Intel® Core™ i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4
    Intel® Ivybridge Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
    32-bit

In System Monitor it reports this

Release 12.04 (precise) 32-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.2.0-75-generic-pae
    GNOME 3.4.2
    Intel® Core™ i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4

I'm using Cylon Linux 32 bit.

I'm using the Build in video on the motherboard that uses some of the system memory as the video memory for the graphics which is why it inly reports 3.8 GiB of memory.

I read somewhere that there was some kind of bug in a certain batch of Intell CPUs with the Ivybridge but I could never find out on Intels Webpage how to find out which one has that bug or what problems it caused.
    Last edited by dallase1; January 14th, 2015 at 10:08 PM.