Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: One pendrive for all PC (Intel/AMD) computers - single-boot dual-boot multi-boot

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: One pendrive for all PC (Intel/AMD) computers - single boot, dual boot, multi boo

New features in a new compressed file for a 'grub-n-iso' system to manage iso-testing

The compressed image file dd_lubu-14.04.2-desktop-i386_isotest2_7.8GB.img.xz contains some tweaks. They are activated if you run a persistent live session, so that you arrive easily in the directory /isodevice and can start managing the ISO files.

You start with links2check but the new script links2update makes daily updating of the ISO files easier than before.

rsync is run with the option -v so that the actual amount downloaded is shown after updating.

Alongside the casper-rw partition there is also a home-rw partition, which makes the content of your home directory safer than when it is stored within the casper-rw partition.

Code:
    $ sudo lsblk -fm
    NAME   FSTYPE   LABEL                    MOUNTPOINT                 NAME     SIZE OWNER GROUP MODE
    sda                                                                 sda     14.6G root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda1 vfat     lub14042-32              /media/lubuntu/lub14042-32 ├─sda1    64M root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda2 ext4     isodevice                /isodevice                 ├─sda2     4G root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda3                                                              ├─sda3     1K root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda5 ext4     casper-rw                                           ├─sda5   1.6G root  disk  brw-rw----
    └─sda6 ext4     home-rw                  /home                      └─sda6   1.6G root  disk  brw-rw----
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sudodus; October 1st, 2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added screenshot

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: One pendrive for all PC (Intel/AMD) computers - single boot, dual boot, multiboot

Test results with mk-grub-n-iso-s which is built into mkusb 10

I have been able to boot ToriOS that uses an old Ubuntu 12.04 LTS non-pae kernel (not forcepae, not fake-pae, really non-pae) in UEFI mode. I did it with mkusb version 10 with a modified grub-n-iso installer added to create persistent live USB drives. This system does not boot directly from grub and an iso file, but from a copy of the iso file cloned into partition #2. Partition #1 is the boot partition (and EFI partition). Partition #3 is a casper-rw partition. The idea is to add persistence and make it a more complete tool for the Ubuntu family and some community re-spins with similar boot structure. Booting via grub from a cloned copy of the iso file into partition #2 makes it work with some re-spins that do not boot from an iso file (at least I cannot do it).

Code:
    sdf                                                sdf    119,2G
    ├─sdf1 vfat    ToriOSdaily      /media/ToriOSdaily ├─sdf1  59,3G
    ├─sdf2 iso9660 torios-live      /media/torios-live ├─sdf2   645M
    └─sdf3 ext4    live-rw          /media/live-rw     └─sdf3  59,3G
    This version of mkusb (10.0.1) needs testing before even getting into the unstable PPA, and you find the way to get it via this link: Re: Howto make USB boot drives post #120

Boot alternatives in the grub menu:

• "distro - persistent live"
    • "distro - live"
    • "distro - recovery mode"

The following distros are tested and work

The whole Ubuntu family's desktop iso files work: Kubuntu, Lubuntu, standard Ubuntu, Xubuntu, ...

• ubuntu-14.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso
    • wily-desktop-amd64.iso ...

The following linux distros based on Ubuntu are also tested and work

• bento-trusty-rc2-i386.iso
    • bodhi-2.4.0-64.iso
    • extix-14.2-64bit-isoh-persistent-836mb-141024.iso
    • linuxmint-17.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso
    • lxle-12044-32.iso (not isohybrid, current versions of LXLE have hybrid iso files)
    • ToriOS-beta.iso (based on Ubuntu 12.04 i386 non-pae)

The following distros boot but persistence fails

The computer boots but cannot get persistence. (Debian advices to clone and add an ext partition with the label live-rw. It boots but I can not make persistence work with Ubuntu systems and not with Debian Wheezy and Jessie that way either.)

• debian-live-8.0.0-i386-gnome-desktop.iso
    • obi_Trusty-nonpae-txt5-9w.iso (based on Debian Wheezy)

Complete failure

No Ubuntu/Debian based distro has failed completely yet, but for example Mageia does not work at all. The boot structure is not recognized. You must edit the file 'boot/grub/grub.cfg' in the first partition.

• Mageia-4.1-LiveDVD-GNOME-x86_64-DVD.iso

I think that cloning is still the best method. It is the standard method of mkusb.

Cloning works also for distros with different boot structure as long as the iso file is treated with isohybrid. And most modern linux distros are, so cloning makes a working live session also for most of these linux distros, and I think that it is still the best method. Most of the time there is no need for persistence, and a tool for Ubuntu need not work for all other distros. But it should be very reliable for the Ubuntu family of operating systems.
    Last edited by sudodus; August 13th, 2015 at 07:25 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: One pendrive for all PC (Intel/AMD) computers - single-boot dual-boot multi-boot

Fine-tuning in mkusb 10.0.3

A new version (able to create 'live only' as well as 'persistent live' USB drives) is uploaded and available via the unstable PPA and phillw.net

See this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/gui

Beans

Re: One pendrive for all PC (Intel/AMD) computers - single-boot dual-boot multi-boot

Dear sudodus,

I followed the instructions in post #7, because I don't have access to any computer that is running Linux. I used my HP Envy X2 which is currently on Windows 10. The picture below is what I have on the pen drive I created. It fails to boot! All I get is a black screen. I reformatted the drive after the first attempt and still, no go. Secure boot in the bios is turned off! USB is set before the ssd in the boot order. The only thing I was unable to do was check the md5 sum, the utility in this thread doesn't see the downloaded zip file. What am I missing or any suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Raymond,

It fails to boot! All I get is a black screen.
    Please specify with more details what happens!

1. Do you get to the grub menu (as in the attached screendump in post #7)?

1.1 If that is the case it boots, but cannot get the Ubuntu system running.

1.2 Is your HP Envy a 32-bit system? If that is the case, you should try to boot from an i386 iso file.

2. If you do not get to the grub menu: Is the screen black all the time? Is there any 'sign of life' from the computer, when you boot?

-o-

Did you follow this instruction?
    In Windows you should expand the compressed image file with for example 7-zip before using Win32 Disk Imager, which is described with more details in the previous post.
    You can use Md5summer in Windows to check the md5sum.

I could add these details: how to run Win32 Disk Imager

If the md5sum of the compressed image file is good, and the process to expand and copy it to the pendrive was successful, but it does not boot, we have to do some trouble-shooting.

I know that there are problems with some of the new HP computers. They use an UEFI system, that does not comply with the UEFI standard, but are tweaked in order to make it hard to boot anything but Windows. I'm not sure, but that might be the problem with your HP Envy X2. We have two older HP laptops (with Intel i5) in my family, and 'my grub-n-iso pendrives' work in UEFI mode and BIOS mode in those computers.

1. Can you boot from the grub-n-iso multiboot pendrive in another computer?

2. Can you boot from the grub-n-iso multiboot pendrive in BIOS mode (not UEFI), maybe in another computer?

3. Does it work better with another pendrive (if you have one)? Some pendrives are good booters and some are no so good.

-o-

You can search the internet for ubuntu HP Envy X2. I did, and found several relevant links, that might help you make it work.

Beans

Answers:

1. No, there is no Grub menu.
    1.2 Yes, it is a 32 bit system! (From reading the suggestion for this unit was to boot from a 64 bit file.)
    2. Yes there is signs of life! The windows light comes on, then you can see the back light is obviously on, but that's it. It just sits there.

Next question: I had to use an application called "Unpack" The 7zip and WinZip versions I downloaded from Microsoft's store could not see the folder in my downloads folder (strange and annoying) Used win32 disk imager which ran with no problems. To be sure, I did it again after reformatting the drive to make certain it was on fat32. I take it from your questions that the picture I attached of the the file system on the drive is correct? I checked the md5 by copying the file to my phone, I'll attach a screen shot. It does match!

Finish: I'll try to borrow another computer to test this drive (Kingston 8gig). I can also use another drive that I have (16 gig) and test that. I'll re-read the instruction and try to find a 32 bit process of what I did according to your instructions. Plus, I'll follow your links for further reading. Thanks for helping!!!

Beans
    Hidden!

I take it from your questions that the picture I attached of the the file system on the drive is correct?
    It look OK, but that picture does not tell everything. It is a good idea to try with another computer. I have Kingston pendrives, that boot work well except one 8 GB pendrive. They are 'individuals'.

Did you find any interesting tips, when you searched the internet for ubuntu HP Envy X2?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    It look OK, but that picture does not tell everything. It is a good idea to try with another computer. I have Kingston pendrives, that boot work well except one 8 GB pendrive. They are 'individuals'.

Did you find any interesting tips, when you searched the internet for ubuntu HP Envy X2?
    Yes. Some I've seen before, but one from a guy claiming to have it running on one of the X2 models. He says he used something called "boot repair". Now, I'm not entirely sure how that works, but am looking for a video tutorial. I already read how to install in on a separate pen drive, but It would be nice to ascertain that using it won't irreparably screw up the UEFI on this unit. Also, since the pen drive I've already made won't boot who says this one will do anything but just sit there also, lol! I'm confused as to how one will boot while the other won't, seems to me it would be a process done through command line. Haven't managed to borrow a laptop yet so I am as yet not able to test the drive as is. Will keep appraised. Again, thanks for helping!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2123975&page=2

EDIT: After reading it again maybe the process hinges on first creating another partition on Windows that tricks UEFI into believing there is something else to boot into? Then, once you are able to run Ubuntu from the disk, you can make the "boot repair" operation? Am I on the right track?

EDIT: Reading another post there is mention of setting a password to get further options in the UEFI menu (probably why mine are blacked out) and then being able to set anther boot medium as "trusted". It may be as simple as that, though I doubt it. At least it's another clue. Unfortunately for me I don't have more time today to do anything else about it.
    Last edited by Raymond Petit; September 9th, 2015 at 08:41 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe. Anyway this link helps you get started with Boot-Repair

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

It is a good idea to first create a BootInfo summary (without doing any repair). Upload the BootInfo summary report, and post a link to it in a reply. That will help us help you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Maybe. Anyway this link helps you get started with Boot-Repair

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

It is a good idea to first create a BootInfo summary (without doing any repair). Upload the BootInfo summary report, and post a link to it in a reply. That will help us help you.
    At the moment I'm at a standstill. Boot Repair doesn't seem to be available as an ISO download anywhere. Not on Sourceforge or anywhere else! I had hoped to test this guys claim that he got his Envy working by installing Boot Repair on a flash drive, but that's not possible without being able to download it. I may be able to track down a physical copy on a disk by going to a local business that deals in Linux. You wouldn't have the ISO file lying around would you?

EDIT: Nevermind, I finally found a download link. Sheesh, you'd think it would be easier to find.
    Last edited by Raymond Petit; September 11th, 2015 at 08:37 PM.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast