Thread: Recommendation for free SMS communication

Beans

Recommendation for free SMS communication

I have a requirement to send and receive, for free, SMS messages (not IM or email.)

I plan to send no more then 10 a day, and receive, maybe 2 a day.

I can't attach a cell phone to my computer, I have no cell service, so this needs to be totally on the internet.

Also, I am running a text based Ubuntu server, no GUI.

I would be OK with installing a small package on my server, but I think I would prefer a script based method of sending URL's to send and receive SMS's.

Thanks for your help.
    Mark.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Recommendation for free SMS communication

Quote Originally Posted by Cool_Javelin View Post
    I have a requirement to send and receive, for free, SMS messages (not IM or email.)

I plan to send no more then 10 a day, and receive, maybe 2 a day.

I can't attach a cell phone to my computer, I have no cell service, so this needs to be totally on the internet.

Also, I am running a text based Ubuntu server, no GUI.

I would be OK with installing a small package on my server, but I think I would prefer a script based method of sending URL's to send and receive SMS's.

Thanks for your help.
    Mark.
    See if you are willing to comply with Twilio's trial restrictions -> http://www.twilio.com/help/faq/twili...ree-trial-work

Otherwise, if your willing to pay $1/mo + ~1c for each SMS, there are a few VOIP providers around that support SMS. Most of the time, received SMSes are forwarded to email, and you can send/receive from the provider's portal. Twilio allows you to create a custom handler that can support many things, including sending the messages to email.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Thanks, Sandyd:

I am testing out twillo now, I think I can live with the trial policy. I am writing my own custom scripts, and might be able to deal with the extra verbiage.

I still haven't figured out how to receive an SMS on my Ubuntu 12.04 using the CLI.

Unfortunately, this is a lower priority in my life, so tests and responses to this post may take several days between updates.

Thanks. Mark.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus