Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transfer photos from cell phone to ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Transfer photos from cell phone to ubuntu 14.04 LTS

I see the USB options only when I connect the cable. That would be the case but I just looked and it seems that I left my phone in the pub last night ooops!

You could install the free app SSHDroid. If your phone is on your home wifi then running SSHDroid will show you an IP address.
    In Nautilus select "Connect to server" and type in the address. You can then copy your files via wifi but it is a little slow

Edit: I found my phone in my car. Phew! It is running Android 4.4.4
    Last edited by coldraven; January 3rd, 2015 at 11:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

While I was still using Ubuntu 12.04 which I could not get MTP to work on at all, on my Android phone (Samsung S3) I installed ConnectBot (ssh client), AndFTP (for sftp client), and SSHServer to be able to connect it with Linux in either direction, as long as the phone was connected to WiFi. I used my Linux ssh keys on the phone (instead of password) for all of those, since I normally have Linux set for keys only.

Although, one thing that did work with the USB cable in 12.04 is that when I was having trouble with my DSL, I could enable tethering on my phone, connect it with USB cable to my PC, and Linux would automatically switch from WiFi to it as though it was ethernet. Of course the phone also worked as a WiFi hotspot (I have a suitable data plan).

When I tried Ubuntu 13.10 on a laptop I had no trouble with MTP on USB and since I recently installed 14.04 on my desktop MTP seems to work fine with that too. The only thing I noticed is that I cannot open files on the phone from Linux, I have to copy them to Linux first to be able to open them.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    I see the USB options only when I connect the cable. That would be the case but I just looked and it seems that I left my phone in the pub last night ooops!

You could install the free app SSHDroid. If your phone is on your home wifi then running SSHDroid will show you an IP address.
    In Nautilus select "Connect to server" and type in the address. You can then copy your files via wifi but it is a little slow

Edit: I found my phone in my car. Phew! It is running Android 4.4.4
    I appreciate all responses to my enquiry, they cover a lot of technical methods. I hope you recovered your phone without difficulty. Of course I will give each suggestion a go and post back when something works.

I note you used the term Pub are you in the UK?
    cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    While I was still using Ubuntu 12.04 which I could not get MTP to work on at all, on my Android phone (Samsung S3) I installed ConnectBot (ssh client), AndFTP (for sftp client), and SSHServer to be able to connect it with Linux in either direction, as long as the phone was connected to WiFi. I used my Linux ssh keys on the phone (instead of password) for all of those, since I normally have Linux set for keys only.

Although, one thing that did work with the USB cable in 12.04 is that when I was having trouble with my DSL, I could enable tethering on my phone, connect it with USB cable to my PC, and Linux would automatically switch from WiFi to it as though it was ethernet. Of course the phone also worked as a WiFi hotspot (I have a suitable data plan).

When I tried Ubuntu 13.10 on a laptop I had no trouble with MTP on USB and since I recently installed 14.04 on my desktop MTP seems to work fine with that too. The only thing I noticed is that I cannot open files on the phone from Linux, I have to copy them to Linux first to be able to open them.
    Your technical ability is quite a bit greater than mine, however, even if I never get to the point of transferring; My enquiry generated a multitude of technical challenges which I will attempt to work through. I thank everyone for that
    cheers

Beans

Are you using a SD-Card in the LG phone ? If you do it should be simple, just get a card reader (and perhaps an adapter for micro SD to full size SD) and that's that. Just have to make sure that the phones saves photos to the card and not to internal memory.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    Are you using a SD-Card in the LG phone ? If you do it should be simple, just get a card reader (and perhaps an adapter for micro SD to full size SD) and that's that. Just have to make sure that the phones saves photos to the card and not to internal memory.
    My computer is an HP that came with windows 7, which I do not use, however I left windows on the machine and dual booted ubuntu. The machine is equipped with four card slots which accept many different Cards - SD is one of them.

For general information: #1 slot: Smart Media / xD; #2 slot: SD/Mini/MMC/RS/Plus/Mobile; #3 slot: Compact Flash 1 / ll / MD; #4 slot: MS/PRO/Duo/Pro Duo

I like this solution and will purchase an SD-Card and perhaps it will solve the issue. BTW - I did try to transfer from cell to widows. No luck, however, windows did download the drivers for the cell ???????
    cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12