Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 14.04 - Canon Lide 220 (Scanner)

Beans

Ubuntu 14.04 - Canon Lide 220 (Scanner)

Hello! I have problem with scanner, Canon Lide 220.

I have connected the scanner and it was detected by running "sudo sane-find-scanner". The program reported that the scanner is probably detected, but it seemed that it was recognized. "scanimage -L" nor "xsane" or "sudo xsane" found any scanners, though. Any ideas if it's possible to make the scanner work? Canon provides software for Windows and OS X. If it's impossible to make the scanner work in Ubuntu, would it be possible to do so through Wine, perhaps?

Thank you for help.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 - Canon Lide 220 (Scanner)

from here http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON your device is completely supported by SANE and so xsane the front-end should be fine

if you type
    Code:
    lsusb
    in a terminal, do you get something like ID 04a9:1905 Canon, Inc.

are you using a usb hub .............. is it a usb 3.0 port ................ ?

if you can see it on "sudo" .......that suggests a permissions issue ........................................

here is the full page on scanner issues https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ScanningHowTo

_________

however if we do some probability gambling, and add your username to the scanner group

if you go from Administration to Users and Groups; and you will need your sudo password; if you ensure the saned and scanner groups are added to those groups you are allowed to access ........ does that help?

Beans

I had a similar issue with a CanoScan Lide 50, and solved it by disabling xHCI in BIOS (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2253359)

Beans

The current sane version of Ubuntu 14.04 doesn't support the CanoScan LiDE 220 yet. I've got the scanner running only with the snapshot build of the SANE backend. You can use this ppa for installation: https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+a...buntu/sane-git

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 - Canon Lide 220 (Scanner) -- not out of the box with 14.10 either

I would like to add to "mail-gabe" (previous message): The scanner is also not yet supported by Ubuntu 14.10.

As indicated by "mail-gabe", simply type (copy) the following to a terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git
    Then update your system. You should now be using the development version of libsane.

The scanner should now work by simply starting xsane (or similar).

See also:

http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/...non&model=lide

(= as of 1 April 2015, the Canon LIDE 220 is under "Backends included in the development repository" )

Beans

The scanner is also not yet supported by Ubuntu 15.04. Adding the above suggested PPA gets it recognized. I haven't tested it much yet.

Beans

I'm using Ubuntu 15.04, but suspect the fix may be the same.

I added the repo as mentioned above:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git
    And update the system.

The scanner is now recognized, but produces many errors and sometimes the scan element hits the end and it must be unplugged to reset it...but sometimes it works OK. This happens from any of the GUI frontends and also scanimage from the command line.

I put the following lines in my .bash_aliases:
    Code:
    export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=255
    export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_LOW=255
    export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_GL124=255
    Logged out and back in and it seems to be working very well. I found some discussion on the sane development discussion list about a possible race condition and setting these DEBUG variables seemed to fix it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jweber53 View Post

I put the following lines in my .bash_aliases:
    Code:
    export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=255
    export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_LOW=255
    export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_GL124=255
    Logged out and back in and it seems to be working very well. I found some discussion on the sane development discussion list about a possible race condition and setting these DEBUG variables seemed to fix it.
    This fixed grayscale scanning for me on Ubuntu Studio 14.04. Thanks!

Beans

Hi, using Lubuntu 12.04 i had to add this :

# Canon LiDE 220
    usb 0x04a9 0x190f

into /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf for my scaner to work with simple-scan or xsane.

Thanks

Beans

With my Ubuntu GNOME 15.10 (kernel 4.2.0-30-generic) the scanner (ID 04a9:190f) worked out of the box with Simple Scan!

EDIT: the hardware buttons on the device have (of course) no function in Simple Scan.
    Last edited by Alex 2; March 3rd, 2016 at 07:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast