Thread: Comparing Lubuntu 14.04 and Debian Jessie

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Comparing Lubuntu 14.04 and Debian Jessie

I have been running Jessie for over a week. Overall I liked using it however there was still plenty of bugs I found. So last night I loaded Lubuntu 14.04 and am going to see how it compares then install wheezy. So far I have seen similar issues on Lububtu that were on Jessie.

1. KMS: to get Xvid to work I need to load KMS which was not hard but 3D acceleration was not working. In Jessie I need to create an xorg.conf file and set the DefaultDisplay to 16 to get a somewhat working 3D. I really did not want to do that here so I found a 'hack' here. This has given a somewhat working 3D acceleration w/o changing my display.

2. browser crases: In jessie Midori, luakit, ans surf all crashed when trying to start. I placed a bug report for surf with no resolution as of yet. However iceweasel and qupzilla worked fine. Now in Lubuntu qupzilla, surf, midori, and laukit crash. I am attaching debug traces if anyone who is software savy wants to take a look.

Has anyone else seen similar issues or has a better solution for 3D acceleration? Thanks!

qupzilla-gdb.txtmidori-gdb.txtluakit-gdb.txt
    iBook G4 1.42GHz Ubuntu-MATE 15.04
    PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz Debian Wheezy

Beans

Re: Comparing Lubuntu 14.04 and Debian Jessie

@r-l:

If you are looking at Wheezy then why don't you try 12.04? If my iMac was still running I would still be happy with Xubuntu 12.04 w/LXDE/Openbox as added DEs . . . . I'm on the line between keeping 14.04 on my iBook or rolling it back to 12.04 where it was quite fine . . . .

Searching the forum for posts by "str8bs" or "rsavage" and a few others . . . should bring a number of threads on "acceleration in 12.04" . . . since I have 32 bit PPC I had no need for understanding acceleration . . . or the lack of it.

I also had a Wheezy install on the iMac, I believe it was about 1.5 years ago, it's fine . . . saw a recent post thru someone's link here where "zen" was talking about his Deb7 + LXDE install on a powerbook . . . but, keep in mind that for the most part debian is a server system . . . so the GUI is not as "integrated" as the Ubuntu options are . . . .

In terms of escaping bugs . . . nature of the beast . . . "resistance is futile . . . ."

e.e.p.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I have used Ubuntu and Xubuntu 12.04 already. I have been exploring different distros and so far Debian LXDE has really impressed me with with how well it runs on my PowerBook G4. I have heard great things about the stability of wheezy.I am curious to see how lubuntu compares.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rican-linux View Post
    Now in Lubuntu qupzilla, surf, midori, and laukit crash. I am attaching debug traces if anyone who is software savy wants to take a look.
    qupzilla works in trusty when you patch qtwebkit. I expect midori etc will also work when webkitgtk are patched. See known issues page.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

@rsavage thanks will do.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I went through the thread and could not find the patch to install. I know in Jessie they have it already patched version in the repos. Do you know when it will move to Ubuntu?