Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catalyst 14.12 for Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Catalyst 14.12 for Linux

Gonna Phoronix bench this on the weekend! Hopefully I'm not disappointed!

AMD now has Ubuntu specific page!...
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...ntu%20x86%2064

This is generic Linux...
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux%20x86_64

Last edited by DanglingPointer; December 9th, 2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: link to 64bit driver; Ubuntu distro driver page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Catalyst 14.12 for Linux OUT! Quickly... Quickly

Good. Grief. ATI is actually acting as though Linux users are important, and apparently the vicious criticism (some deserved) has actually penetrated, not to mention all the "buy nVidia, not ATI" statements on a plethora of Linux forums, gaming or not. It should be mentioned that the FOSS radeon drivers were developed with help from ATI, and they're pretty damn good these days, especially after five years.

Good for ATI. I'm going to stick with nVidia, though.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Catalyst 14.12 for Linux

The description of the generic installer is wrong, the version of Xorg supported is actually Xorg/Xserver 7.4 and above (up to 1.16). The driver works on Kubuntu 14.10.

oldrocker99: Yeah, nVidia Linux drivers might be good, but the company is really OSS unfriendly (PhysX, GSync, etd.), disturbingly greedy (TitanZ for $3000 or Titan for $1000 is an absurd price) and unethical (GameWorks cripple competitor performance). Because these reasons and the fact that AMD is lightyears in front of nVidia when it comes to OSS support, I'm staying with AMD .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by R33D3M33R View Post
    oldrocker99: Yeah, nVidia Linux drivers might be good, but the company is really OSS unfriendly (PhysX, GSync, etd.), disturbingly greedy (TitanZ for $3000 or Titan for $1000 is an absurd price) and unethical (GameWorks cripple competitor performance). Because these reasons and the fact that AMD is lightyears in front of nVidia when it comes to OSS support, I'm staying with AMD .
    I agree that the high-end nVidia cards are ridiculously expensive, but I have a GeForce 750ti, which uses half the power, and doesn't need a separate power input like my old 650ti did, and is twice as fast. Besides, it cost ~$140, and is more than sufficient for my needs. I also (PhysX notwithstanding) am happy with nVidia's Linux support. I'm a gamer, and, while I'm not a FPS fanatic, I am able to play everything I want, including Borderlands 2 and Metro:Last Light, and Trine 2 (which is one resource-hungry program that will really put a graphics card through its paces). That is, IMHO, a real bargain.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs up Re: Catalyst 14.12 for Linux

Well I couldn't get the deb packages provided on the website to work, but I believe that's due to my tinkering too much around in ubuntu. But I used the automatic install of the generic one and it worked! Geez! It is even much much more simpler now that we can use the built in automatic installer and it all just works! Unbelievable! I no longer have to go through the rigmaroll of following everything here... http://askubuntu.com/questions/12429.../126513#126513
    All I have to do is double click on the installer and choose "run" just like in M$ Windows, apply sudo password, choose automatic and Bob's your uncle! It works!

I ran Phoronix valley and unigine suite (no valley). The unigine suite has a large improvement, while the more modern valley only increased 2 FPS. I have uploaded the new results. The old ones should be at the website but I'm not sure at the moment how to search for it. It may need a paid subscription.
    The new ones...
    http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SO-UNIGINESU36
    http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SO-UNIGINEVA76

In a nutshell though...
    suite results:
    FGLRX Driver version 14.09 14.12 14.12 with
    lastest Kernel
    HWE
    Tropics 97.52 FPS 101.02 FPS 159.12
    Sanctuary 95.78 FPS 101.38 FPS 167.96
    Heaven 40.98 FPS 45.34 FPS 67.77
    Valley 49.77 FPS 52.65 FPS 57.54

Would have been awesome if there was some sort of scripted benchmark for The Witcher 2, perhaps the Dragon sequence on the first Act. In my humble opinion, The Witcher 2 still has by far the best graphics fidelity of all the games released for Linux. And all glitches have been fixed, so nay sayers should really try it out again before responding that it is broken! Because I'm on Act 3 now with near Uber settings (Custom High) with an R9-290X and it has worked flawlessly without breaking a sweat!

On a separate note, Empire Total War is now out... got so many games to play and not enough time in my life! grrr

UPDATE: Added a new column for benchmark results with the latest ubuntu official hardware enablement stack for 12.04.5. MASSIVE improvement! Benchmark published... http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SO-UNIGINESU12
    Last edited by DanglingPointer; December 12th, 2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Latest official Ubuntu Kernel Hardware Enablement Stack

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i'm really wanting to test these drivers out on my system which has an A8 Series APU but I can't figure out how to install them. I try to download the *.deb and it fails right away saying i have a dependency issue because it can't find fglrx-core. I'm very weary about using the .run in fear that it will mess up my system. Why did AMD go thru the trouble of making 14.04 .deb packages if they don't even work. LOL Right now i'm just using the default radeon driver by default. I'd love to do some benchmarks for my youtube channel and even create a video showing how to get these damn things installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I ran the installer on automatic and it just worked mate! benchmarks up above.

If this is for a test for your channel and if you have another spare drive lying around, just quickly fire up an ubuntu or clone your existing one to the spare and run the automatic installer. On my system it just worked effortlessly.

Beans
    Hidden!

dannyboy79: just run the .run installer and it will provide you a way to create custom *.deb packages. Then install them with sudo dpkg -i *.deb. If dependency errors come up, just run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    Don't forget about
    Code:
    sudo amdconfig --initial

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just updated the table above post #5.

I updated ubuntu 12.04.5 to the latest official hardware enablement stack then reinstalled FGLRX using the automatic installer and voila! MASSIVE improvement!

Well back to the Witcher 2 for me!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by DanglingPointer View Post
    I just updated the table above post #5.

I updated ubuntu 12.04.5 to the latest official hardware enablement stack then reinstalled FGLRX using the automatic installer and voila! MASSIVE improvement!

Well back to the Witcher 2 for me!
    so which kernel are you using please do tell? also, i need to know which mesa/libgl libraries you're using as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast