Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is da best!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu is da best!

I love ubuntu, as long as there's an X, an L or an K in front of it.
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I was introduced to Ubuntu in 2008. My brother in-law a programmer, was using it. Not knowing much about it and not wanting to hose my current computer running Windows. I built a new machine from used 'scrapped" parts. Loaded 8.4 on it and started to learn. I gave up for a bit. Then around 10.4 started to use Ubuntu earnestly. I learned how to dual boot with it. For awhile I dual booted because some of the things I wanted to do I simply couldn't or did not know how to do in Ubuntu.

Fast forward to 14.04, today all I use is Ubuntu. Yes I still have dual boot on my machines but I very rarely ever use Windows. Especially since most of the machines have XP on them. I have only one machine that has Win 7 on it and it sits idle most of time. ( Well over a year now.) I have no plans on ever going back to Windows. My kids are grown and I have no need for anything in the Windows world for school work. Ubuntu and Linux in general do all and more than I need. I appreciate all that the developers and others have put into the FOSS movement. It's a wonderful thing I think. This 50+ year old man appreciates it. Thanks Canonical, Thanks FOSS, Thanks to all who are involved. JOB WELL DONE!
    Why aren't you on #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net?
    Answers and Howtos

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by farrinux View Post
    I was introduced to Ubuntu in 2008. My brother in-law a programmer, was using it. Not knowing much about it and not wanting to hose my current computer running Windows. I built a new machine from used 'scrapped" parts. Loaded 8.4 on it and started to learn. I gave up for a bit. Then around 10.4 started to use Ubuntu earnestly. I learned how to dual boot with it. For awhile I dual booted because some of the things I wanted to do I simply couldn't or did not know how to do in Ubuntu.

Fast forward to 14.04, today all I use is Ubuntu. Yes I still have dual boot on my machines but I very rarely ever use Windows. Especially since most of the machines have XP on them. I have only one machine that has Win 7 on it and it sits idle most of time. ( Well over a year now.) I have no plans on ever going back to Windows. My kids are grown and I have no need for anything in the Windows world for school work. Ubuntu and Linux in general do all and more than I need. I appreciate all that the developers and others have put into the FOSS movement. It's a wonderful thing I think. This 50+ year old man appreciates it. Thanks Canonical, Thanks FOSS, Thanks to all who are involved. JOB WELL DONE!
    +1. Legendary. Story well told and I'm right there with you. I arrived with 7.04 and then straight to 8.04. Still here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Ni View Post
    Glad to hear it! And from what I can see from your signature, clearly you have the PC specs the make it fly. That's not the case for me so I stick with Lubuntu or Xubuntu at this point which is nice too.
    For Xubuntu, have a look at the Default Shortcut Keys page. Not all combinations are the same for each release. For example, Application Finder in Xubuntu 12.04.x, the short cut keys are Alt + F2. It is not even mentioned on the page. I suspect newer versions, are pretty much as the first list on the page though ...

Oh right, there is this bug outstanding. If you use the Window manager to set your own key-bindings, you might encounter some problems. ( Settings => Settings Manager => Window Manager). In the comments below in the bug, is a work-around.
    Last edited by mikodo; December 13th, 2014 at 12:20 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

In xubuntu, it is easy to set up your own keyboard short cuts. Apps>Settings>Keyboard>Application Shortcuts. Away you go.

You can also see there what the default shortcuts are that are setup already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    That's awesome.

On my system, I press Super+F and Firefox opens. No sound effects
    On my system, I press Super+G and Google Chrome opens. No sound effects
    On my system, I press Ctrl+Shift+G and Google Chrome Incog opens. No sound effects
    On my system, I keep all my most frequently used applications (including FireFox and Chrome [for Netflix]) on the Unity launcher. Just move the mouse to the left and click. Simple as that.

This is why Ubuntu, and Linux in general, is so awesome! No matter what you run, you can do things the way you want to do them. Everyone is different, and Linux does its best to cater to that fact.
    System76 Lemur5 (64-bit) - Antergos
    Dell Dimension 4500 (32-bit) - Win XP Pro (Down)
    Gateway NV59C (64-bit) - Ubuntu Mate 16.04
    2014 Mac mini - Sierra

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    In xubuntu, it is easy to set up your own keyboard short cuts. Apps>Settings>Keyboard>Application Shortcuts. Away you go.

You can also see there what the default shortcuts are that are setup already.
    This sounds great but ...

I looked and looked in Xubuntu 12.04 that has PPA's for Xfce-4.10 and Xfce-4.12. I couldn't follow your paths. I can't even find, "Apps".

What Xubuntu release and Xfce4 version are you using?

Edit: In case you are wondering why the two Xfce PPA's, the xfce 4.12 PPA for Precise page indicates, both the 4.10 and the 4.12 must activated in sources.
    Last edited by mikodo; December 15th, 2014 at 06:56 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

xfce4 has always had this facility. 'Apps' = Applications (at top left of top panel). Then Settings>Keyboard>Application Shortcuts tab.

xfce4 can be installed via Software Centre or with:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4
    No external PPAs should need to be added manually. Once installed, log out, choose the xfce4 session from Sessions on the login screen, login. Let us know how you go.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 15th, 2014 at 08:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hey Bucky Ball

Thank you, for taking the time with me.

Okay. I went to Applications > Settings and found Keyboard Input Methods.

But darned if I can figure out what to do.

See the screeny.

I am off to bed now, as it 02:00 here. I apologize for posting for help and then running.

I'll try again later.

Kind regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, that looks nothing like mine. I am not using Xubuntu. I have a minimal install and am using xfce4 as the desktop environment (installed manually with 'sudo apt-get install xfce4'). I have no 'Keyboard Input Method' selection in the Applications>Settings menu.

Have you tried Applications>Settings>Settings Manager>Keyboard (in the Hardware section)? Just 'Keyboard' is what you are after.

If you have no joy there, you could perhaps try posting a new thread regarding this and someone might be able to fill in why our two setups are different. I personally have no idea, unfortunately.

PS: I am using 14.04 LTS mini install. If you are using 14.10 Ubuntu with xfce4 added to that, could be the difference. Unsure. Good luck whatever you choose to do, but the input of others about this would probably help.

* Find attached a screenshot of what I have when I go Apps>Settings>Keyboard (or Settings Manager>Keyboard).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 15th, 2014 at 11:15 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast