Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Gates a champion for openness!?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Bill Gates a champion for openness!?

Bill Gates isn't CEO of Microsoft any more, but even Microsoft without him claims to be changing.

From Microsoft Openness:
    Microsoft has changed as a company and is becoming more open in the way that we work with and collaborate with others in the industry, in how we listen to customers, and in our approach to the cloud.

We contribute to and partner with open source communities and promote interoperability to make it easier and less costly for customers to develop and manage mixed IT environments. We actively participate in the standards setting process and support established and emerging standards in our products.

In the cloud, we support key standards that provide the building blocks for open, interoperable cloud services, and we support developer choice of programming languages. We support data portability and believe customers own and control their data, no matter where it resides.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Bill Gates isn't CEO of Microsoft any more, ...
    Right Just another shareholder.

Let's how the current CEO manages karma of which we heard so much recently.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

1. Publications Are Discoverable and Accessible Online. Publications will be deposited in a specified repository(s) with proper tagging of metadata.
    I wonder if Internet Explorer is a requirement?

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Makes absolute sense to release your commissioned research to one and all to disseminate into the minds of the general public.
    Many question the Bill & Melinda Gates “Foundation” research in different areas and who the real beneficiary of this philanthropy for tax avoidance is.
    Bill Gates is and always will be a champion for whatever assists him to make money.
    Last edited by CantankRus; December 8th, 2014 at 05:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I will not see this in context of Computing / IT etc The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is doing a great job for the betterment of humanity , to end poverty and to fight disease (polio )

Beans

The aim of research is to advance (or imbue with bias) the pool of knowledge, so it's natural to want others to read it, build on it, and cite it.

Although I'm not interested enough to read it, here's a free article about where their grants are going.
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...571-7/fulltext
    Last edited by haplorrhine; December 8th, 2014 at 04:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by CantankRus View Post
    Bill Gates is and always will be a champion for whatever assists him to make money.
    +1, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by asifnaz View Post
    ...The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is doing a great job for the betterment of humanity , to end poverty and to fight disease (polio )
    As Bill Gates faces a lawsuit for the illegal testing of tribal children in India, it appears that his crimes against humanity have finally caught up with him.

A recent report published by Health Impact News has reported that the Gates Foundation has found itself facing a pending lawsuit, due to an investigation that is being carried out by the Supreme Courts of India.
    Source: http://www.activistpost.com/2014/10/...table-for.html
    I found this story while looking up a similar story regarding Bill Gates views on population size and control etc. Some of his views I have heard reported on and seen video of him discussing are certainly not for "the betterment of humanity" in my opinion.<snipped further comments on review - coldcritter64>

The aim of research is to advance (or imbue with bias) the pool of knowledge, so it's natural to want others to read it, build on it, and cite it.
    Yes, exactly. <snipped further comments on review - coldcritter64>
    Last edited by coldcritter64; December 9th, 2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: re 2 <snips> "toned down" post, apologies for any offence taken

Beans

To clarify, I'm not suggesting people discard their research. Bad research would lead to a bad reputation. The bias is often in the kind of research being conducted.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by haplorrhine View Post
    To clarify, I'm not suggesting people discard their research. Bad research would lead to a bad reputation. The bias is often in what they choose to research.
    Understood.

I definitely would not "discard" the research, that would be foolish. Use in good faith but independently verify every last thing you use from that source is how I'd view it. The intent and as such any kudos (as the OP pays Bill) for such "openness" I would personally withhold without a lot of further research.

Bad research would lead to a bad reputation.
    When research is carried out or funded by the ones who profit most from it then it is not always reliable. It may not be provable as "bad" but may serve corporate interest over public good. <snipped comments on review - coldcritter64>

The bias is often in what they choose to research.
    I agree. <snipped comments on review - coldcritter64>

Cheers.
    Last edited by coldcritter64; December 9th, 2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: <snipped comments> to "tone down" post, again apologies for any offence

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haplorrhine View Post
    To clarify, I'm not suggesting people discard their research. Bad research would lead to a bad reputation. The bias is often in the kind of research being conducted.
    I don't want to say that the above is simplistic but one can go very far on bad research. Sometimes, it takes years for genuine mistakes or hoaxes to be uncovered.

Then there's the professional noblesse oblige effect which causes professionals to minimize negative aspects of their profession. See how gently the Wikipedia article on cold fusion is worded. And that was in a scientific field in which measurements are not thought to be subjective and variables are relatively well known.

But thanks to this thread, I learned a new phrase and that's pathological science.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast