Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What gaming mice work with linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What gaming mice work with linux?

Quote Originally Posted by truepurple2 View Post
    You level false accusations against me Mike.
    1. That I demanded something.
    2. That I don't know that people here are unpaid volunteers
    3. That I think people owe me anything.

All three of the above accusations are false and highly offensive, ever the more that you put them in a public space. If you want to help, then help. If you don't want to help, fine, but please don't troll me with baseless accusations.

Are you aware this comment sounds snobby, like you are looking down on me for wanting to get a gaming mouse to work with Ubuntu? 'This lowly person asking for help with getting a mouse related to gaming to work with ubuntu/ask about its compatibility, only pathetic people play games', something like that is how you sound there. Besides which, some of the Logitech G502 functions, like surface attenuation matter outside of games too, even button macroing can be used outside of games.
    Apologies if that's how it came across!

In the nine months or so since I converted to Linux, and joined the forums, I've seen quite a few individuals who have switched over from Windows. On the whole, having paid for their operating system, they feel they have EVERY right to demand help when they start to encounter 'issues'.....and quite a few do so! Not many people come on here, wanting to know details QUITE as precise and exact as you were requesting...

I have absolutely no problem with 'gamers'. It's not 'my bag', it's true; my passion has always been graphic design. But of course, as we are all well aware on here, computers can be used for many different fields of application.

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was 'trolling' you; nothing further from the truth. But on the occasions when we get 'hecklers' or 'trolls' on here, from what I've seen of it, the community does tend to defend itself....as it has every right to. And the forum staff do have quite a battery of weapons at their disposal.....but they only tend to use them as a last resort.

I like Logitech mice; got three of 'em, in fact; two M185s, and a T400 ZoneTouch (which I like very much; well worth the £45 I paid for it). I confess, I don't know much about the gaming mice, outside of the fact that you can indeed play all sorts of wonderful tricks with them. Tell me something, if you will (and I've never really understood this, so would like to); is it REALLY that important to have micrometric accuracy when you're playing games.....as well as being able to 'fine-tune' the whole way the mouse 'feels'? And what exactly IS 'surface attenuation'? That's a NEW one on me..!

BTW; if you want to see where I'm coming from, have a read of this.....it's quite illuminating:-

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

And in some ways, quite amusing, too!

Regards,

Mike.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans

Thankyou tokyobadger. Heard of anything for surface distance or attenuation adjustment?

*edit in*
    Surface attenuation is new in general, not heard of it outside of the Logitech G502. It's matching up how the mouses optics read the surface the mouse is on, customizing itself to match said surface for more accuracy, which is especially helpful if your not using a fancy mouse pad (or any mouse pad) If you are curious, do a cursory search on Logitech G502, watch one of the videos about how it works.

Accuracy matters most in FPS, where pixels difference can be victory or defeat. In general it can help with a accurate mouse for just regular nongame use too, just not as much.

Surface distance adjustment is about how high the mouse can be lifted before it stops sensing the surface, that way if your repositioning the mouse, you don't accidentally move the cursor.
    Last edited by truepurple2; January 7th, 2015 at 05:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@truepurple2: must confess I have not - I'd imagine without vendor backing, there'd need to be reverse engineering to get those features to work - could be a while for that to happen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Walsh View Post
    In general, your 'specific' query won't, I suspect, get much in the way of replies from the forum members.....most of whom, I rather think you'll find, have better things to do with their time than 'play games'.

With the exception of Steam, who are now beginning to port a lot of their games to Linux, you'll find that Linux isn't really a gaming platform as such.

And a word of advice; you cannot DEMAND anything on the forums. All the forum staff are volunteers, giving their time freely to help others out; they are not getting paid for their time. And since Ubuntu itself is distributed free of charge, the people who develop it don't owe you anything either...

Just remember that, next time you would like help with a 'specific' issue.

Regards,

Mike.
    I know its an old thread but just have to say, Ubuntu, Linux and this forum caters for all use-cases including gaming both as a consumer and as a professional provider, developer, tester, etc.

If your mind is too closed to the idea of freedom to use the software for all purposes and use-cases then you shouldn't be using open source software. The OP never demanded anything in his posts. And your statement about most people on the forum having better things to do is completely insulting. There is a multi-billion dollar game industry out there with Linux spearheading a new market with Ubuntu the largest distro amongst the linux users (eventhough at just 2% of total OS). People in that industry "HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO BUT WORK ON GAMES TO EARN A LIVING"

Word of advise, if you have nothing to contribute, don't bother commenting on a thread irrelevant to you. "Don't you have something better to do?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12