Thread: Boot logo - splash.pcx/splash.rle

Beans

Boot logo - splash.pcx/splash.rle

Hi there,

I don't know if i'm posting in the good section because it's not really "art". So if I mistook please move this thread where you want.

I'm trying to customize an ubuntu and I would like to modify the boot logo. When I search in the cd I found that logo in "isolinux/splash.pcx". In the file "isolinux/isolinux.txt" we can find what is displayed at te boot, and for the logo it's the file "splash.rle".

However if I can modify the .pcx with Gimp I'm not able to do that for the .rle. So if I change the .pcx I won't see the differences because the "isolinux.txt" file calls the "splash.rle" file.

So my question is : how can I apply the modifications that I did on the .pcx to the .rle ?

If you have other questions I'll be pleased to answer them.

Thanks in advance. :]

Beans

Re: Boot logo - splash.pcx/splash.rle

I have the same question. Someone please reply!
    Thanks,
    -digital

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by lolipop View Post
    Hi there,

I don't know if i'm posting in the good section because it's not really "art". So if I mistook please move this thread where you want.

I'm trying to customize an ubuntu and I would like to modify the boot logo. When I search in the cd I found that logo in "isolinux/splash.pcx". In the file "isolinux/isolinux.txt" we can find what is displayed at te boot, and for the logo it's the file "splash.rle".

However if I can modify the .pcx with Gimp I'm not able to do that for the .rle. So if I change the .pcx I won't see the differences because the "isolinux.txt" file calls the "splash.rle" file.

So my question is : how can I apply the modifications that I did on the .pcx to the .rle ?

If you have other questions I'll be pleased to answer them.

Thanks in advance. :]
    Did you get this solved yet? If not, please clarify: are you trying to modify the usplash boot up screen? Are you trying to modify for a livecd, or an already installed version?

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm having close to the same problem. Clean Edgy install on my Dell Optiplex. When booting and shutting down I get a blinking underscore with a black screen. On my other Dell (dimension) I get a nice loading bar with the Ubuntu logo. Any idea how I can get this on my Optiplex?

Thanks!

note: I've tried doing the grub usplash update but that just got me a background for selecting the os before boot.

Otakonx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Well, I worked out some of the kinks in Edgy usplash here...note the end of the thread where I started to figure out what was going on.

And in this thread I set up a custom Usplash.

Perhaps one of these will help and give you the information that you are looking for.

Please post back if it helps or not.

Beans

Wink Re: Boot logo - splash.pcx/splash.rle

Using Gimp, turn RGB into indexed (16 colours)

And save as .bmp (rle coded) and change .bmp extension to .rle

Beans

Okay, so this thread might be dead, but in case anybody is interested:

You need to install syslinux in case you haven't got it.

1. create a new splash.png file (using gimp or whatever)

2. convert it to "pnm" by using "pngtopnm" as in
    pngtopnm splash.png > splash.pnm
    3. convert it to "rle" by using "ppmtolss16" as in
    ppmtolss16 "#000000=0" "#ffffff=7" < splash.pnm > splash.rle
    BINGO!
    Last edited by ingo; April 22nd, 2008 at 11:51 AM.
    repartitioning your installation / forever noob / Desktop on Debian Lenny / IBM T41 purring along on bog Kubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb Re: Boot logo - splash.pcx/splash.rle

With regards to ubuntu splash screen, what I do not like is the metering something or orange line that grows from left to right and vice versa because it resembles the Windows operating system boot screen.

I hope this will be remove or change to something unique that Ubuntu will be recognized of, and will be implemented on next Ubuntu release.

click the link to see
    Windows XP Splash Screen

Ubuntu 8.04 Splash Screen

Attached is the part of splash screen from windows xp and ubuntu 8.04
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

This is what looks best without Splashy, imo.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Please note that this is only for the boot splash, i.e. if you press esc to boot a different kernel for example. Otherwise you will not see the boot splash under Ubuntu.

The last two posts, afaict, are musing over the image incl. the bar once the kernel has been selected and is booting. In Ubuntu usplash now takes over - splashy being the flash and up and coming alternative used by "prettier" systems.

Imo one should get rid of the splash boot option under grub and watch the messages flash by as the system comes up
    repartitioning your installation / forever noob / Desktop on Debian Lenny / IBM T41 purring along on bog Kubuntu