Page 3 of 222 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Hi all,

Quick update, seems that the file: /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt (copied over from /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/nvram*), contained an incorrect MAC address. I've updated in brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt the correct MAC (given by wpa_supplicant) and now I got my X205TA finally online with Linux

Only the audio that's left (and maybe BT).

Koen.

Beans

Hi Koen

Thank you for posting this information - I can see light at the end of the tunnel!

Do the hotkeys and power settings (sleep especially) work with the 4.0 kernel? And does the trackpad have multitouch or is it still behaving like a mouse?

Cheers
    JonB

Beans

This is great news! I purchased this device specifically with putting ubuntu on it. Was worried that I would have to stick with windows 8.1.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNighthawk View Post
    Hi all,

Quick update, seems that the file: /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt (copied over from /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/nvram*), contained an incorrect MAC address. I've updated in brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt the correct MAC (given by wpa_supplicant) and now I got my X205TA finally online with Linux

Only the audio that's left (and maybe BT).

Koen.
    Hi Koen, I did also find the brcmfmac43340-sdio.bin file in the Android repository. However I don't have the Windows partition intact. Could you post a copy of the brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt file? Thanks!
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Beans

Hi,

Concerning the wireless, it seems that an additional step is needed to have it working correctly. On needs to do following extra steps, to be added in /etc/rc.local so it's executed at boot time:

rmmod brcmfmac
    rmmod brcmutil
    echo on > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-acpi/INT33BB\:00/power/control
    modprobe brcmfmac

(Credits to the people in : https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=88061 )

If you wouldn't do these extra steps, the network manager will only be rarely capable of connecting to a selected network.

----
    @Jon_Bradbury ; I don't have the impression the hotkeys work already out of the box, maybe with extra config ... The mousepad, I didn't test yet, how should I try to do this? For example, zooming out on Google Maps?
    @antidrugue ; I don't have the laptop with me now but I'll try to add the file tomorrow evening or Saturday.

Anyone an idea about the audio? I don't get it; "needed" audio kernel modules are loaded but no audio devices are seen ... Could I try or test something? Someboy an idea? Because the kern.log is not at all throwing errors ...

For the rest, it seems to run quite stable (taking into account beta 1 of Lubuntu 15.04 + a RC3 of kernel 4.0 ) and quite fast (taking into account the limited hardware resources).

Br,
    Koen.
    Last edited by TheNighthawk; March 19th, 2015 at 06:59 PM.

Beans

Hi koen

Try two finger scrolling, that is minimum multitouch functionality. Also look in the settings to see if a trackpad was detected or is it just seeing a mouse?

Cheers
    JonB

Beans

Hi,

Please find the required files (to be modified) via following link: http://www.filedropper.com/x205ta . About the multitouch, doesn't seem to work (yet), but I still need to check if I could do something to get it working. Nobody meanwhile for the audio?

Thanks,
    Koen.
    Last edited by TheNighthawk; March 21st, 2015 at 01:43 AM.

Beans

Hi Nighthawk
    Could you please put all the steps required in step-wise form and help? Did you put update 15.04 to daily/alphas and then put sdio files? Many people like me are struggling to make wifi/audio work on this great cheap laptop and your post shows some hope now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheNighthawk View Post
    Hi,

Please find the required files (to be modified) via following link: http://www.filedropper.com/x205ta . About the multitouch, doesn't seem to work (yet), but I still need to check if I could do something to get it working. Nobody meanwhile for the audio?

Thanks,
    Koen.

Beans

Hi TheNighthawk,
    I managed to do the same thing as you did for the first 2 steps, but with Ubuntu 15.04 daily build 64 bit. Now if you can share some detail steps on how to upgrade to Linux kernel 4.0 RC3, then I can try out the WiFi setup you shared here.

Thanks,

Lyre

Beans

I think he might have downloaded rc3 from : http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...4.0-rc3-vivid/

Quote Originally Posted by lyre2005 View Post
    Hi TheNighthawk,
    I managed to do the same thing as you did for the first 2 steps, but with Ubuntu 15.04 daily build 64 bit. Now if you can share some detail steps on how to upgrade to Linux kernel 4.0 RC3, then I can try out the WiFi setup you shared here.

Thanks,

Lyre

Page 3 of 222 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast