Page 29 of 220 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Have some actually tried to debug the crashes ? Used kdump or something ?

Beans

Hello.
    I am having trouble with:

apt-get install module-init-tools kernel-package libncurses5-dev fakeroot

I always get a "package not found error" when I run apt-get.

I am connected to the internet fine, however I can't seem to install the packages above via apt-get or synaptic package manager.

I think i might be pointing to the wrong software repository - could someone recommend which one I need to point apt-get/synaptic package manager to?

Beans

Has anyone managed to have 4,4-rc1 kernel compiled and have wifi ? When I boot 4.4 I have no wlan0 available, rmmod&modprobe the brcmfmac module gives no errors but wlan0 doesnt appear afterwards. dmesg with 4.4 only gives:
    [ 3.310673] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac

instead of with 4.3:
    [ 3.309660] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_drivestrengthinit: No SDIO Drive strength init done for chip 43340 rev 2 pmurev 20
    [ 3.310673] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
    [ 5.493664] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware version = wl0: Jun 17 2014 11:48:43 version 6.10.190.49 (r485840) FWID 01-8744bcd2
    [ 5.515777] brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_reg_notifier: not a ISO3166 code
    [ 5.603243] brcmfmac: brcmf_add_if: ERROR: netdev:wlan0 already exists
    [ 5.603251] brcmfmac: brcmf_add_if: ignore IF event

I used the same .config file to compile both kernels.
    Last edited by harryharryharry; November 19th, 2015 at 08:44 PM.

Beans

Cool Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

I would like to first commend you all for the diligence applied to a marginalized yet soon forgotten piece of hardware. I appreciate people that strive to obtain maximal output from a device which comes at such a bargain. This device although quite "ninja" has become marginalized. I fear that support for a 32 bit UEFI may soon become antiquated. This being said you and others have shown me the value of modifying boot orders and adding a bootia32.efi as well as a grub.cfg for many a distro. Not to forget the value of renaming BOOTX64.efi to bootia32.efi in certain situations to retain distro integrity. I appreciate that we should fix freezing issues but I feel that this thread may have been derailed in light of more pressing issues. This device only has two usb ports. That being said, if one was to run a live distro, one would be behooved to use the other usb port for a Bluetooth dongle; not only for Bluetooth but for audio. This is a problem for optimization. I believe as a community we should reach for optimization before we reach for stability. A three day freeze that can be fixed by reboot should be lower priority than expected functionality. I propose that focus be shifted to Bluetooth as it fixes a usb allocation as well as temporarily can fix the audio card issue. I strive to debug this issue and am willing to send data/error msg, as well as proposed ideas towards the fix. I really want us to focus on functionality more than week long stability and making this device worth turning on. Again I would like to thank you all for these breakthroughs. They have helped me tremendously in understanding this device, you all are invaluable and I am in your digital debt.
    Last edited by CharlieMikeSeben; November 21st, 2015 at 05:31 AM.

Beans

Hmm... I disagree. bluetooth is not much of a priority for me. For me personally, if the freezing stops and audio starts, I am satisfied... (suspend would be a bonus)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sijinads003 View Post
    wifi will be connected instantly
    You are actually right. Great Tip
    Quote Originally Posted by sijinads003 View Post
    On normal clock, i see some strange vibrations on display at the time of shutdown...
    I was not able to reproduce it on debian 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuci View Post
    Have some actually tried to debug the crashes ? Used kdump or something ?
    I tried but nothing is registered. Maybe some of you could try too on different distros...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin_Burnett View Post
    Could someone recommend which one I need to point apt-get/synaptic package manager to?
    As I said this step is Distro-dependent and you should really search on google/forum for help.
    From what I see, this could be the command: sudo apt-get install git fakeroot build-essential ncurses-dev xz-utils
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieMikeSeben View Post
    I really want us to focus on functionality more than week long stability and making this device worth turning on. Again I would like to thank you all for these breakthroughs.
    Unfortunately the point is that none here has the capability to write an Alsa driver for audio or the equivalent for bluetooth.
    I am following the mailing lists regarding our audio card but not so much is happening.
    Have Michele stopped his attempt to develop an alsa driver in conjuction with intel developers?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pieni_Sieni View Post
    Thanks very much for all the useful information on this thread.

I have been attempting a 64bit install of the Desktop version of Ubuntu 15.04 beta2.

The install goes fine until it starts installing GRUB.

Installation GUI pops up with an error message saying: "Unable to install GRUB in /dev/mmcblk0".

A closer look at the syslog states:

So far, I used Rufus to prepare a bootable USB stick from "ubuntu-15.04-beta2-desktop-amd64.iso" with a GPT Partition scheme for UEFI. Then copied bootia32.efi to the /EFI/BOOT directory. Also I turned of secure boot control, and set the USB controller select setting to EHCI in the BIOS.

Plus tried first cleaning the partition tables with gparted before install. Any ideas would be very much welcome, thanks.

PS. Did "sudo rm /dev/mmcblk0rpmb" too!

Has anyone got any information to get around this?

Beans

Has actually been discussed many times.
    https://github.com/lopaka/instructio...asus-x205ta.md

Beans

Looks like there is finally a workaround for the freezes.
    Add intel_idle.max_cstate=1 to your kernel parameters.
    I've been running 4.3 and 4.4 for 2 days without freezes.
    More about the bug in https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=88012

Also, to run kernel 4.4 with wifi I needed to revert commit 9faac7b95ea4f9e83b7a914084cc81ef1632fd91

Beans

That would be awesome, I'm trying it right now! This kernel option also seems to solve the suspend issue (although after resuming from "systemctl suspend"; touchpad and wifi dont work. touchpad can be activated again by rmmod and modprobe elan_i2c - but wifi NOT by rmmod and modprobe brcmfmac...)

Page 29 of 220 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast