Page 214 of 216 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216 LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 2156

Thread: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by joshua123456 View Post
    Are you using the mainline kernel or harry's 5.3.7 custom kernel?
    And I am right that you have no freezes whatsoever?

My x205ta is very unstable at the moment. So I am considering a complete re-install. I use Ubuntu on my laptop normally but I am considering Xubuntu for de X205 and give it a try
    Yes I'm using Harry's ISO from his server which already included the kernel: http://x205ta.myftp.org:1337/isos/

I haven't had any problems with the device whatsoever at the moment. Before the device was very unstable for me too!

Beans

Hi all.

I've just downloaded and booted the Xubuntu harryharryharry iso and everything worked except for wifi. It seems that it doesn't recognise the built in wifi card.

I also tried it with a usb wifi adapter and it still didn't work.

This is on the live-usb, mind, so perhaps it would work when installed properly...?

I'm holding off from installing until I know I can easily get back to Win 10 should I wish to.

Had anyone had any experience with returning to Windows on this machine? It appears to have only a 500mb RECOVERY partition which I presume isn't enough to just recover an entire windows install from.

Any thoughts /experience?

Beans

Anyone managed to dual boot with Windows? Was thinking of adding a micro-SD card and installing Linux on that.

Beans

[QUOTE=denn1s-r;13918486]I tried to install Fedora (XFCE) it was impossible! When I tried to make an image with Harry's script it would fail. When I downloaded the image from Harry's FTP server it wouldn't install, I'd just get a bunch of errors...
    Installing the official untouched XFCE Fedora image worked, but then I would get a black display after selecting Grub.

So I reinstalled Xubuntu from scratch from the image of Harry's FTP server. It's amazing this 5 year old crappy laptop I bought for €150 for traveling still performs this well for normal tasks like web-browsing text-editing...
    I themed it to look like MacOS Mojave now it's not only awesome but looks amazing too! It's like the little sibling of my main machine.

Thanks Harry for the new Kernel and prepped 19.04 image!UOTE]

Really nice!
    Did you just install Mojave?
    I'm a beginner in this, I try to install it but some windows are quit awfull.
    How did you do that?
    Also: is it possible to easily upgrade the distribution ?
    Last edited by howefield; June 13th, 2020 at 08:51 AM. Reason: removed non dead image link.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by denn1s-r View Post
    I tried to install Fedora (XFCE) it was impossible! When I tried to make an image with Harry's script it would fail. When I downloaded the image from Harry's FTP server it wouldn't install, I'd just get a bunch of errors...
    Installing the official untouched XFCE Fedora image worked, but then I would get a black display after selecting Grub.

So I reinstalled Xubuntu from scratch from the image of Harry's FTP server. It's amazing this 5 year old crappy laptop I bought for €150 for traveling still performs this well for normal tasks like web-browsing text-editing...
    I themed it to look like MacOS Mojave now it's not only awesome but looks amazing too! It's like the little sibling of my main machine.

Thanks Harry for the new Kernel and prepped 19.04 image!

Hi,
    could you tell in more detail how you installed Linux? I tried to install the same ISO but failed.

I'm not well-versed with Linux, so I just used the the Xubuntu 19.04 ISO from Harry server and ran it as a Live-CD first: WiFi connection was spotty to say the least, took me several minutes (up to ten minutes) until my Asus connected to the WiFi (never had that problem with Windows), but other than that, it worked great (I had sound and web browsing was fast).

When I proceeded to install Xubuntu (with Updates allowed during installation), the installation would hang up at "Retrieving file 1 of 3" for hours without finishing the installation.

Next, I deleted all partitions with gparted and tried to install Xubuntu with the Update disabled. It would end with a grub-installation failure and a message that the installer crashed.

Re-tried it several times. Curious if there's something that you have to take care of before installing that I newbies don't know.

Beans

I'm a bit late to the party but I'll toss in my hat here too. I noticed this in the OP
    Code:
    *-firmware
              description: BIOS
              vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
              physical id: 0
              version: X205TA.205
              date: 10/06/2014
    Is this the latest BIOS you can get for the system? An update here may help improve things. It is 6 years old.....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    I'm a bit late to the party but I'll toss in my hat here too. I noticed this in the OP
    Code:
    *-firmware
              description: BIOS
              vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
              physical id: 0
              version: X205TA.205
              date: 10/06/2014
    Is this the latest BIOS you can get for the system? An update here may help improve things. It is 6 years old.....
    ASUS updated the BIOS last year. I have updated my BIOS to Version 213 from 2019/06/06.

Beans

Is there any new distro available for download with support for X205ta?

Beans

Been absent from this forum for a few years. I finally installed the most recent harryharryharry kernel, Installation with the supplied script was flawless, and the machine booted just fine. Amazingly, sound is coming from the speakers after 5 years of silence. BT activates. Wireless works. Wonderful job to all who made this possible. Next will have to check out the C states and update the bios.

I noticed that the Atom processor in the machine has 4 cores. Ran my cpu-bashing benchmark code and yes, it delivers 4x performance when all cores are in use.

Beans

Hi people! I don't know how many people are still relying on the isos/kernels I host (the server logs show there are a few of you left), but I wanted to let you know I'll be upgrading my server soon, and I don't plan to put the files up on the new server. If any of you need them, please download them now (if you read this message after I closed down my server, shoot me a PM; maybe I can somehow supply the iso you need).

Having said that, I have a pretty good alternative: I managed to make a standalone script (yes yes, another one) that can very quickly modify a stock linux iso to incorporate an efi image (which it builds on-the-fly) that has 32bit boot capabilities (which the x205ta needs). This script exclusively relies on pretty standard linux tools (like syslinux, isoinfo, mkdosfs, xorriso & rsync) without the need for external config/boot files, so in the long run it'll probably be a lot less error-prone and a lot more future-proof than my previous script. Which is nice, because I won't be putting a lot of effort in maintaining the script. Right now I've tested the script with ubuntu (including mint, elementary), fedora, opensuse, manjaro.

Another advantage over my previous script(s) is that the iso this scripts outputs can be written to a usb with any imagewriter (for example dd, or win32 disk imager). Of course the isos will no longer be carrying my custom kernels, but I think that is a good thing; my kernels are probably horribly outdated feature-wise and security-wise.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by harryharryharry; 1 Week Ago at 05:26 PM.
    Script to create bootable usb-stick for the X205TA. Guide to compile a kernel for the X205TA. Guides to install linux to X205TA: general or ubuntu

Page 214 of 216 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216 LastLast