Page 212 of 220 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214 ... LastLast
Results 2,111 to 2,120 of 2193

Thread: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

@harry,
    The crash was being caused by the ancient firefox-esr that debian includes, for some reason. Installed the latest one and its running for 24h+ now without any crash. Thanks for the Kernel, everything is working butter smooth.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by awakephd View Post
    All,

Has anyone tried installing the new Ubuntu 19.10? I gave it a whirl - first tried HarryHarryHarry's script to create an ISO, but I couldn't get that to boot. Then I set up a USB using the as-down-loaded 19.10 .iso, added the boot32efi to it, and it booted up, let me connect to wireless, and began to install ... but everything was painfully slow, and somewhere along the way, it would freeze - not at the same spot each time, but always before I got through the installation. Most disappointing! I'm now re-loading 18.04 (built with HarryHarryHarry's script some time ago), and it installs like a breeze. Once it is finished updating, I'll try a distro-upgrade and see if I can get 19.10 that way.

No, I don't urgently need 19.10 on the X205 - but I like to keep it in sync with my main laptop, and I was planning to upgrade it.
    Update - I loaded 18.04 without problems, then let it update to 19.04, again without problems. Then I forced a distro-upgrade and it loaded up 19.10 ... and now it has problems. It is s-l-o-w to boot up, but does get to the screen to ask for my password. Once I enter my password, however, it thinks for a while and then tells me something went wrong, log out and try again. If I do, it goes through the same process, over and over again.

So, clearly something in 19.10 is not compatible with the X205. Maybe a kernel transplant, using the latest 5.3 kernel from HarryHarryHarry, would fix it ... but I haven't figured out how to make that transplant since I can't get to a terminal. I have been trying to get it to give me the grub menu, but it is skipping past that and going straight into the boot up process.

Anybody got any ideas? If not, I'll re-load it up to 19.04, and then wait for developments ...

Beans

@harryharryharry Hi! Long time. So I've installed the latest xubuntu iso from your ftp and since I don't use the laptop anymore I thought I'd use it as a Spotify/Airplay receiver.

Links: https://github.com/Spotifyd/spotifyd and https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync

ShAirport is more important to me. Now the issue is since the sound is modified in I'm at a loss of what to do.

For the shairport, I compiled the package with their pulseaudio tag since I guess we are using Pulseaudio? I'm not 100% sure and I thought I'd ask you for help.

After building and enabling it, I can see it as a Airplay device but no sound comes out, unfortunately. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks!

Beans

@harry, can you diagnose this crash, random hangup....

here is a log from /var/log/kern.log

https://pastebin.com/k87bXjD8

and from /var/log/messages

https://pastebin.com/7Gyna792
    Last edited by akashp21; November 4th, 2019 at 12:52 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by diegoandre View Post
    @harryharryharry

I ran the command and now pulseaudio just shows a “dummy output” and nothing else. What else can i do?
    Have you solved this? I have the same issue. I ran the "blacklist" command but pulseaudio still shows speakers as "(unavailable)"

EDIT: I ended up installing a prebuilt 19.04 xubuntu ISO with the new kernel and the issue is resolved. Also, suspending/sleeping the PC no longer freezes like it did on 18.04
    Last edited by ceevee2; December 1st, 2019 at 10:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Asus X205TA comments/questions

I have two comments/questions for fellow Asus X205TA users:

1) The original factory power supply is quite awful. The cord between it and the laptop stopped working, a friend at a computer shop correctly diagnosed it as "the wires inside broke", even though it has been handled carefully, never torn physically, or abused. Simply put, the conductors are as thin as a human hair, and made out of metal that is so low quality, it rotted away, despite being encased in plastic that is not damaged or bent. Having seen the inside of the cord firsthand, I'm not surprised it stopped working now, several years after purchase, but I'm surprised it lasted this long! I bought another adapter, the laptop worked again. But only temporarily. The new adapter still works, because unlike the Asus part, the new one has a LED that shows when it has power, so the cord must still be okay. Now the power connector on the laptop motherboard has gone south (or pear-shaped as the Brits say)! Naturally, it is so small, replacement requires not only spare parts and a soldering iron, but a magnifying glass and luck! Oh and it is custom made! Why couldn't Asus have used something standard like micro USB or USB C? Idiots! Since the "hard drive" is eMMC on the motherboard, if the power connectors fails, soon after the battery will be drained, and recovering the information will require connecting the chips to another device, also with a soldering iron! Brilliant. They should have used a M2 SSD, so it can be connected without solder! But I digress. I read an online post (on the author's blog or another forum, don't have the link handy, sorry), from someone with the same laptop and the same power supply problem, and their solution was to solder the wire from the power adapter directly to the motherboard. Then it no longer detaches from the laptop, only at the wall outlet, and requires carrying both the laptop and adapter together everywhere, but it only requires two wires to be soldered, and secured inside the case, so the joint doesn't break or snap. Anyone else try this or have opinions on how effective/long lasting this fix might be? I am about to implement it, or else try replacement of the motherboard jack, which seems even harder. But I need the computer working at least long enough transfer the info, and hopefully afterward as long as possible as well. I have taken apart the custom Asus jack, and am fairly certain I know which lead for the adapter needs a connection to which pin on the motherboard, so if my proposed, hard-wired solution works, I'd be happy to share the technical details so others can perform the same fix in the future. The post I read said it worked, but gave no pictures or technical description of these critical details, sadly.

2) Ideas (this is a subjective question and a matter of opinion) for the most lightweight but functional, easy to use and update OS? I have the best experience so far with Debian/Ubuntu based distributions, with something light like LXDE or XFCE, no bloat like Gnome or KDE please. I'm using AntiX (based on Debian 9) on an even older/weaker laptop, and it works reasonably well. Nothing against any distro, but for me having a package manager as least as functional as apt, and a similar variety of packages to install is a must. Why install the world's best distro, if no one has ported the packages freely available in Debian? Don't want to reinvent the wheel or fight the OS, I want to install it and get to work while it gets out of my way. Was tempted to try @harry-cubed's premade X205TA ISO (one of them anyway, he has many!), but so far he only has Ubuntu 19.04, which will be unsupported in January 2020! LTS for the win, it gets support for 10 years, so if I use 18.04, it is good until 2028. And the upcoming 20.04 will be good until 2030! Waiting for April with baited breath.

P.S. Hint for all those who, like @awakephd have grub booting the OS directly, with no delay or menu to choose anything. Pressing the ESC(ape) key repeatedly (not holding it down, but pressing it more than once during the boot sequence, so it registers repeated activity, rather than a single depressed key) will almost always halt the boot sequence at a grub prompt with the OS choices (and memtest or similar, if installed) detected by grub-update listed, plus the option to edit the boot entry manually, add kernel parameters, etc. Also, pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 or similar will load a full screen virtual terminal, complete with text only (CLI) login prompt. Works from anywhere, sometimes I use it to recover when the GUI has halted/crashed/not responding. Get a virtual terminal, login, run top to see offending process, sudo kill it, revert to GUI with Ctrl-Alt-F7, Bob's your uncle.
    Last edited by lubod; December 2nd, 2019 at 06:34 PM.
    (aka lubo2, due to PEBKAC)

Beans

Hello !
    I am new on this Forum, and I an beginner with Linux
    Unfortunately, my daughetr has a ASUS X205TA It's a good joke to begin with Linux environment
    My question is :
    In the ISO files that are shared by harryharryharry, on this link :
    http://x205ta.myftp.org:1337/isos/

Is there one ISO which give ZERO problem with X205TA ?
    I mean, is there one ISO which give no problem with WIFI, no problem with Bluetooth, no problem with touchpad, no problem with Freeze, no problem with speakers or headphones ...etc...
    Thanks for your answer.
    Best regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by karibou1312 View Post
    Hello !
    I am new on this Forum, and I an beginner with Linux
    Unfortunately, my daughetr has a ASUS X205TA It's a good joke to begin with Linux environment
    My question is :
    In the ISO files that are shared by harryharryharry, on this link :
    http://x205ta.myftp.org:1337/isos/

Is there one ISO which give ZERO problem with X205TA ?
    I mean, is there one ISO which give no problem with WIFI, no problem with Bluetooth, no problem with touchpad, no problem with Freeze, no problem with speakers or headphones ...etc...
    Thanks for your answer.
    Best regards
    Welcome to Linux. As long as people are willing to help, it already works or can be fixed, usually.
    The X205TA is perhaps the model Asus made to please Microsoft and deprive Linux users. It came with Windows 8, back when it was user hostile (no desktop or start menu!), before the updates. The EFI (BIOS) refuses to boot from media not digitally signed by Microsoft, unless checking is turned off in the BIOS, and WiFi, Bluetooth, audio, etc. have no open source drivers. Creative and adventurous people like harryharryharry reverse engineered it!! They took similar drivers from other similar laptops, and made them work on the X205TA by trial and error, no doubt crashing many times, so you don't have to!

I remember installing (x)Ubuntu 16.04, (I use Ubuntu variants, typically the LTS versions, which get 10 years of security updates, but I asked others to comment on the best OS in my post above yours) not sure if with the standard installer with harry's files added to the USB flash drive by me, following his tutorials, or just with his homemade ISO. The former I think, as I added his kernel and Bluetooth files after the OS install, manually. I think he wrote that his ISO bundles as much of that so it installs without your help, as it runs the regular installs. So most of it should work, but if not, neither Linux nor harry is responsible, but Asus and their Linux hostile attitude.

For me, WiFi has been solid, Bluetooth is OK, pairing with a phone to transfer pictures works, but headsets pair but don't send/receive sound without extra configuration, unless his ISO sets that up too? The wired headphone jack does not appear to work with headphones for music players/mobile phones, unless my setup is older too. Both the speaker and microphone in the laptop are known to work now, for Skype for example, but that was one of the more difficult reverse engineering efforts, I think it took some smart and determined people almost 2 years, with technical help from Intel employees, because the motherboard is Intel made, to get it working!

The laptop has advantages (small, lightweight, decent screen, keyboard, trackpad), but many disadvantages (how pro Microsoft and anti everything else it was, as made by Asus). Don't get me started on the power jack, I wrote an essay about it above. Just treat it gently, and assume it will break, there are posts online that show it is prone to failure.
    Last edited by lubod; December 2nd, 2019 at 08:36 PM.
    (aka lubo2, due to PEBKAC)

Beans

Many tanks lubod for your answer !
    I will wait until I have the answer if there is an ISO without problem.
    Bye and many thanks for your answer.
    Last edited by karibou1312; December 2nd, 2019 at 10:48 PM. Reason: bad answer from me

Beans

One question: is it intentionally done so, that any iso's doesn't include i386-efi? So I can't install grub correctly! Install-grub shows "target doesn't specified". So I'm bored to death and still can't obtain Linux on my x205ta. Help!

Page 212 of 220 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214 ... LastLast