Page 209 of 222 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 2219

Thread: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Hi everyone!

I have been using the last stable kernel (5.1.7) with no tweaks and it is working very well! Even mic is working.
    The only inconvenience I have is that I should run 'pavucontrol' and select 'speakers' instead of 'headphones' every time I restart the system.
    Is there some command I can add to automatize the process?
    Thanks!

Edit: I found this command works for me:

pactl set-sink-port alsa_output.platform-cht-bsw-rt5645.HiFi__hw_chtrt5645__sink "[Out] Speaker"
    Last edited by onetefo2; June 10th, 2019 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Found a solution.

Beans

Can someone please tell me the type of chipset this laptop has?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi guys.... total newbie here, and struggling! I've been close to taking a hammer to my wife's X205TA trying to get Linux Mint on it, then stumbled across this thread.

Is there a total idiots guide anywhere for the script? I don't know if/where/when I'm meant to put the iso, assuming I'm meant to supply one? I got over one hurdle running the script when it stopped with an error regarding something (xorriso, or somthing like that?)

It's now stuck on the error 'Can't determine iso architecture, please set it manually in the script'?

Would really appreciate it if anyone could help out as Win 10 runs like a dog on the X205TA - so bad that she's back to using her 10-year old Dell XPS!

Beans

I tried to make the script suitable for as many isos as possible, so I also included a architecture check to differentiate between 32bit and 64bit isos. But it turned out supporting 32bit wasn't really feasible. The message you're getting means the script can't determine the architecture (it checks the iso filename for clues, which is ... not that robust).

My hunch is that you either renamed the linux mint iso (the script checks for clues like x86_64, amd64 or 64bit), or you're not correctly pointing the script to the iso, for example like so:
    Code:
    sudo ./x205ta-custom-liveusb.sh linuxmint-19.1-xfce-64bit.iso
    Shoot me a PM if things are still not working out for you.
    You could also opt to download a prebuilt iso from my server. (@all: which I'll probably close down soon, since traffic is waning for obvious reasons.)
    Script to create bootable usb-stick for the X205TA. Guide to compile a kernel for the X205TA. Guides to install linux to X205TA: general or ubuntu

Beans

Does anyone knows if microSDs 128GB of U3 class are supported? Is gonna be beneficial in any way on the read/write performance on the external SD in respect to a 64GB class 10 on the integrated sd card reader?

Beans

This site seems to suggest 64GB is the maximum capacity:
    https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...-x205.2282295/ (although I'm not really sure if/why they think anything larger than 64GB wouldn't work)

Reddit thinks/reports that 128GB works:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/lowendgamin...n_asus_x205ta/
    and they link to the official asus page: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS_Ee...pecifications/ (So I think you can safely ignore Tom and his hardware)

What I can tell you is that the sdcard reader in the x205ta is *slooooow* (as also reported in the reddit thread). So I think upgrading to U3 from class 10 won't do you any good (speedwise), as the reader is the bottleneck in this case (only an educated guess though).
    Script to create bootable usb-stick for the X205TA. Guide to compile a kernel for the X205TA. Guides to install linux to X205TA: general or ubuntu

Beans

I have an xt205a, I had found this thread and installed a version of ubuntu and a kernel that at the time was just developed enough to have sound. uname shows 4.12.0-sound-19 and the OS is Ubuntu 16.04 TLS. As I recall, I used a usb stick and an iso version of ubuntu that was patched to add the weird bios support that this laptop has, I forgot what it's called, I just remember this laptop has some kind of weird bastarded bios setup..

I have finally gotten utterly sick of having to reboot every time I or someone else closes the top and also because it keeps freezing up at random moments, so I was hoping this was fixed and someone could point me to a newer guide on updating the kernel or even reinstalling with a newer version of the kernel and all? Please and thank you, reading 41 pages of this thread to get up to date seems a bit overwhelming...

I just use this comp for the normal stuff, watching shows, music, youtube, the facebook, nothing special, I just have a persistent /home partition and that is the only thing I am really worried about keeping
    Last edited by guitarjerry; July 6th, 2019 at 01:41 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guitarjerry View Post
    I have an xt205a, I had found this thread and installed a version of ubuntu and a kernel that at the time was just developed enough to have sound. uname shows 4.12.0-sound-19 and the OS is Ubuntu 16.04 TLS. As I recall, I used a usb stick and an iso version of ubuntu that was patched to add the weird bios support that this laptop has, I forgot what it's called, I just remember this laptop has some kind of weird bastarded bios setup..

I have finally gotten utterly sick of having to reboot every time I or someone else closes the top and also because it keeps freezing up at random moments, so I was hoping this was fixed and someone could point me to a newer guide on updating the kernel or even reinstalling with a newer version of the kernel and all? Please and thank you, reading 41 pages of this thread to get up to date seems a bit overwhelming...

I just use this comp for the normal stuff, watching shows, music, youtube, the facebook, nothing special, I just have a persistent /home partition and that is the only thing I am really worried about keeping
    Just follow the instructions https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....4#post13595504 I am on 4.16 and everything works perfect, no freezes whatsoever. So no doubt that 5.x will also work.

Quote Originally Posted by harryharryharry View Post
    Just made my probably last kernel release. It's the big v5.0 !
    I've not applied any patches to improve stability, and although I don't use the device frequently, it has been stable for a couple of weeks now.
    Hi harryharryharry, first thank you for your hard work. I used your Ubuntu 18.04 prebuild iso and it works like a charm. As you posted earlier that all twirks are now in the mainline kernel. What does this mean exactly? If I want to install any Ubuntu mainline version in the future, I download the ISO, make it bootable, install the latest kernel and I am good to go? Or do I still need to tweak some things? Thank you again. My x205ta is so much better with Ubuntu on it!

Anyone here who managed to get sound via the HDMI port? I use my x205ta as a travel and multimedia laptop so I was wondering if it is possible to get sound via HDMI.

Beans

Hey harry, tried to download the kernels and it says: unable to connect to: x205ta.myftp.org:1337

Beans

Yeah something's wrong, I can't connect to my vpn either. I'm not at home the next several weeks so I'm not able to restart the server/router.
    In the meantime, here's a mega.nz link to the kernel tarball (I believe it's the penultimate version) and some other scripts:
    https://mega.nz/#F!6dwkVAwY!g31GTBi8dTHyNmQQezXgkQ

The x205ta-custom-liveusb.sh script, that creates isos with my kernel baked in, wants to download the kernel tarball from my (now not responding) http server if you use it normally:
    ./x205ta-custom-liveusb.sh /path/to/linux.iso
    but you can also point it to a kernel tarball you've downloaded (with my mega-link), like so:
    ./x205ta-custom-liveusb.sh /path/to/linux.iso /path/to/kernel-64bit-4.20.0-sound-40.tar
    Last edited by harryharryharry; August 15th, 2019 at 11:32 AM.

Page 209 of 222 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219 ... LastLast