Page 190 of 220 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 2193

Thread: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by harryharryharry View Post
    If you don't mind a little rougher user experience and want to make xfce feel even snappier, you can turn off 'display compositing' in 'System Settings -> Window Manager Tweaks -> Compositor'
    I disabled display compositing and installed compton. I think I followed a guide similar to this one. It's the first Google search result for xfce compton. There's also a graphical configuration tool compton-conf.
    Last edited by Yochanan; February 23rd, 2018 at 04:40 AM.
    ASUS Eee Book X205TA | OS: Manjaro Linux Xfce | Kernel: 5.8.X-X-MANJARO

Beans

The latest stable kernel (4.15.6) has patches against all spectre (v1 & v2) and meltdown vulnerabilities, so I put up a new build. Only caveat is you need a config file to gain headphones support (the patch I normally use doesn't seem to do its job anymore).
    Script to create bootable usb-stick for the X205TA. Guide to compile a kernel for the X205TA. Guides to install linux to X205TA: general or ubuntu

Beans

Hi,

I am running Linux Mint 18 Sarah on my X205TA, and my problem is: Around 50% of the boots in battery mode end up in a black screen (not freezing: blind login after CTRL+ALT+F1 and command for reset has worked for example). This problem does not occur if the netbook is running in AC mode. At the moment I am using Kernel version 4.15.7, but I have this problem already for two years and with any kernel version (between 4.1 and 4.15 at least). The problem does also not occur with kernel options like nomodeset or noacpi. But that is no satisfying solution.

Does anybody know this issue or know how to solve it?

Best,
    Robert

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@piano87

I have not run any Mint distros for many years, though I hear they are a more refined, better out of the box experience for people with no Linux experience, so I'm making an educated guess what may be wrong, take it with a grain of salt and please

You gave a very exact description of when and how the problem occurs. Kudos. This may be obvious, but it is how I would try to resolve it if it happened on my X205TA:

Is it a hardware failure? Reproduce problem with LiveCD/USB from other distros or non Linux OSes (AFAIK OpenBSD should boot OK, it may not have bluetooth, sound, etc. but the important thing for you is DOES IT black screen, right? Not advocating for that permanently, just boot them from USB to test. Does it still black screen? Sad, but if the hardware is at fault, no software changes will fix it. Workarounds may be possible, as you said, with nomodeset or noacpi, but not desirable.

Are there any logs with useful information from the black screen? E.g. the output of the dmesg command, the file /var/log/syslog, etc. Some of these (syslog for sure) are timestamped, so reading them you can tell what time an error occurred, and match it to when you last did a boot on battery. Check events in the same log before this time. Maybe something that triggers it will be logged too.

HTH

Unfortunately, this seems to be a common problem with Mint 18. I googled "Linux Mint 18 Sarah black screen" and came up with many results. This seems like the most recent:
    https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842
    Cold comfort, but this is likely not a bug with the X205TA only, but a much more general bug affecting many Mint 18 users! If the bug is not in Ubuntu or Debian (which it may be, I don't know), then only a fix from Mint (or switching distros) is likely to fix it.
    Last edited by lubo2; March 2nd, 2018 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Added more info.

Beans

Thank you for your reply.

I do not think that this is a hardware problem. The exact procedure is as follows: There is always a moment in the booting process where the screen is shortly blanked, I think, when the screen resolution and/or the graphic driver is changed. In my case this happens in the 4th second of the kernel. But in around 50% of the cases the screen stays blank. But I will double check with some other LiveOS, when I have time.

I compared the outputs of dmesg and the journalctl for the case where it works and where it does not work. But there are no relevant differents (of course timestamps are different and sometimes the order). Also I found no error in /var/log/syslog which could be connected to this problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@harryharryharry:

When you write 4.15.6 how does that relate to the actual versions on Linus Torvalds' git, is it 4.15rc6 or 4.15 final, or ? (I suspect the final one, but would like you to confirm this, please). Never mind, I think I am starting to understand the version numbers somewhat. Do they ever make them confusing. Seems every developer or packager has their own naming system. I see 4.15.6 here: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...tag/?h=v4.15.6. Oh, and there is now a 4.15.7 stable, and 4.16 is developed in parallel. Confusing.

Here is a snippet of bash shell script which creates the file /etc/modprobe.d/50-x205ta.conf and adds the info needed for headphones:

Code:
    sudo ex /etc/modprobe.d/50-x205ta.conf << END
    i
    options snd_soc_rt5645 quirk=0x31
    blacklist snd_hdmi_lpe_audio #(only necessary if this module is build, but better safe than sorry)
    blacklist btsdio #(not necessary for headphones support, but this module breaks wifi during suspend on the x205ta so it makes sense to blacklist it here anyway)
    wq
    END
    It can be run in the shell manually or included in another script to automate this step.

Your premade kernel is great, thank you for providing it. I have a small problem. I use software (specifically cdemu) which compiles its own kernel module, and needs files like headers, makefiles, etc. You appear to have left a lot of that out, so it fails to build against this kernel. With Ubuntu supplied kernels, with headers installed, it works. Can you add the minimum files needed to make compiling external modules work with this tarball, or provide it as a separate download? I compiled the kernel with Linus' sources using your guide, and that gave me the files needed for my kernel, but I don't think it's wise to mix my files with your kernel, it almost certainly will not work.

To be clear, I don't want to bloat the tarball with 60+ MB of stuff, most of which will be useless to those who only wish to boot it, I would like to add the bare minimum needed to allow compiling external modules.

Your headers directory only has a folder "include". The headers from my build has more in the path /usr/src/linux-headers...

Several top level configuration files, like Makefile.
    a folder "arch" with subfolders
    a folder "scripts"
    It is these files I'm missing from your build, and without them compiling modules throws errors.
    Last edited by lubo2; March 2nd, 2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: More info. about missing files

Beans

Tnx for the new kernel #29, I am using it on the road now for increased security. I minor inconvenience: I have to boot into the old #28 kernel when using Skype as the internal mic does not work on my Ubuntu Mate 16.04 with the #29 kernel.

Beans

I've been using Xubuntu for a while now and there are a few bugs.

1: After the computer has been to sleep there's no sound, I have to change the output to headphones and back before it works.
    2: The settings say if I close the laptoplid it should supspend, sometimes when I still have a lot of battery left and I close the lid the battery would be completly empty the day after.
    3: My background goes missing, I already fixed it 3 times by login in as root in tty1 and doing:
    "cd $HOME/ .cache"
    "rm -rf session"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by harryharryharry View Post
    As for the printer-related modules failing to load on boot, they can be commented out in:
    /etc/modules-load.d/cups-filters.conf

The fn-keys not working in lxde could be as simple as a missing package (lxde is pretty barebones). I've just installed lxde alongside my current xfce setup on xubuntu 17.10.1, and the the volume control with fn-keys works for me under lxde. (I have a volume-applet in the lower righthand corner in lxde, maybe that's missing in your setup ?)

@sinistristradali
    You're right, it seems I was a little too hasty in attributing the keyboard/touchpad breaking on hibernation to the reverting of commits for deep suspend. I did some more investigating and I found that the keyboard and touchpad will break after hibernating UNLESS you have suspended the machine at least once after boot. Pretty weird, huh ?
    I'm having a hard time tracking down the cause of this behaviour. My google-fu has yielded little result as it's pretty hard to describe the behaviour in apt keywords; the searches turn up a lot of garbage...

When you said "the hibernating issue started when the clock-speed problem was solved" which clock-speed problem are you referring to? is it the freezing issue?; is this behaviour that only affects my kernel or stock kernels too ?
    it happened in 4.8/4.9 versions stock and your kernel. When hibernating unloading wifi stack and i2c the hibernation was successful, but internal time got weird. You could try a time function and at moments it went super slow until converging to a specific time, other times super fast.

Beans

I've made a new prebuilt kernel (v30) based on 4.16-rc6.
    Note: I've experienced a couple of freezes lately (and someone else also PM'ed me about this). Seems like Intel still hasn't got the baytrail-bug resolved, maybe they are focussing on another issue right now. The available patches made by JbMacAZ and Hans de Goede do not seem to be impervious to freezes. If you require stability, you are better off using the intel_idle.max_cstate=1 kernel parameter (drawback is that booting with this kernel parameter, you cannot take advantage of suspending to the power-efficient s0i3-state my kernel supports). Reports of freezes (with or without intel_idle.max_cstate=1 parameter) you experience with my kernel are always welcome.

@lubo2: I've already looked into this, but I don't know how to include the full kernel headers, the command 'make install_headers' which is purportedly used to install custom kernel headers indeed only supplies the include directory. I'm not really sure what the value of this include directory is as I haven't been able to build any out-of-tree kernel modules with it.

@anders965: Mic should be working out of the box again with v30.

@denn1s-r: Issues 1 and 3 could be OS-related and not so much X205TA-related (btw do you mean sleep or suspend?). Issue 2 might be an incorrect reporting of the lid state. The stock kernel by default doesn't use the boot parameter button.lid_init_state=open which means the OS relies on a correct lid state being reported (check cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state), because of a bug this is not the case after closing the lid 1 time after boot (resulting in the laptop not suspending from the second lid close on). As I understand it, the kernel parameter is a temporary workaround until a permanent solution is written. My kernel includes the parameter by default (you can check which kernel parameters are used to boot the kernel with 'cat /proc/cmdline').
    Edit: another thing could be happening: by default the laptop wakes up from any usb input (for example mouse movement) and then won't be able to enter suspended state again. This can be changed by:
    Code:
    echo 'disabled' | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/wakeup &> /dev/null
    @sinistristradali: Thanks for the reply, maybe I'll try compiling some kernels around v4.{8,9} to see how hibernating performs with them.
    Last edited by harryharryharry; March 21st, 2018 at 11:04 PM.
    Script to create bootable usb-stick for the X205TA. Guide to compile a kernel for the X205TA. Guides to install linux to X205TA: general or ubuntu

Page 190 of 220 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200 ... LastLast